We have an opportunity for a dynamic and motivated Senior/Principal Engineering Geologist. This is an excellent opportunity to take a senior role in our very successful engineering geology team. The candidate should be experienced in engineering geological and geohazard investigations, particularly for civil engineering purposes. This experience should be applicable to a wide range of ground engineering environments.
As one of the UK’s leading geotechnical consultancies Atkins offers a comprehensive service in ground technology. With more than 300 professionals, Atkins’ geotechnical reputation is built on the skills, excellence and commitment of our people in all aspects of geotechnical engineering.
Atkins has an impressive current portfolio of prestigious geotechnical projects in the UK and internationally. Our engineering geologists make an important contribution to our projects and are the lead geotechnical discipline when there are particularly challenging geological conditions and geohazards. We need to increase our resources to meet the growing demands from our clients, especially in the infrastructure sector (particularly rail, highways & water) and the energy sector, which includes carbon capture & storage, renewable energy (wind, current and hydro-power), low carbon engineering, offshore and onshore oil & gas and nuclear power.
As a result, we’re looking to grow our team and looking for people with the drive and enthusiasm to embrace the future. We have the depth of knowledge and breadth of expertise to help you build a bright career in this exciting and rapidly evolving sector. We have offices throughout the UK and depending on the particular skillset and experience of the applicant we may consider locating the role in one of our UK hub offices (Epsom, London, Birmingham, Bristol, Warrington, Leeds & Glasgow), although other locations may be considered.
The successful applicant will be a Senior/Principal Engineering Geologist with a proven technical, commercial and project management track record.
The details of the role will be reflective of the individual's skill set and experience.
Candidates should have the right flare and ability that will help us develop and expand our infrastructure and energy geotechnics capability by building on the existing portfolio of our rapidly expanding, flexible and outward looking team that can tackle work across a broad spectrum of sectors.
Candidates should have:
- A strong academic background with good academic qualifications - as a minimum first degree in geology or geography and a second degree in engineering geology or with a large component of engineering geology / geomorphology.
- Chartered status
- Excellent technical experience. Experience of engineering geological and geohazard investigations of sites for civil engineering purposes, ideally with experience of working both within and outside the UK.
- The candidate’s technical experience should range from terrain evaluation of large areas to the detailed investigation of specific sites. It should include (as a minimum) landslide investigations and the assessment of ground conditions for particular projects. An ability to use engineering geological software would be an advantage, particularly GIS for mapping and 3-dimensional terrain and geological modelling.
- Experience in the following sectors would be advantageous: rail, highways, offshore wind turbines, nuclear facilities, onshore pipelines and oil and gas facilities, dams & reservoirs.
- Good interpersonal skills and the experience of developing and leading investigation and design teams
- Good communication skills - able to liaise effectively at project manager and project director level and with clients.
- Project management - Experience and understanding of the needs and approaches to the engineering consultancy and design markets, including relationships with clients, work planning and commercial management. The candidate should be able to operate as a sub-project manager within Atkins, and as Atkins project manager for external clients.
- Good report writing skills and the ability to self-check and to produce high quality and accurate work.
- Able to demonstrate good people skills and to have the ability to lead technical teams.
- A clear willingness to travel on short assignments both in the UK and overseas.
- A UK driving licence.
Training and Development
The learning and development experience in our Ground Engineering team is different to that at most other companies. Here we thoroughly recognise the importance of our people and we invest for the long term to provide them with the technical, commercial and managerial expertise they need throughout their career. At Atkins our staff continue to learn and develop irrespective of their position or experience.
Our investment includes our acclaimed technical conferences, regular presentations and discussion groups, field trips, bespoke training courses as well as active on the job mentoring. We also have our Ground Engineering Academy to provide structured support and encouragement to staff in their progression to chartership. Fulfilling learning and development experiences include the opportunity for international assignments in a variety of countries.
We have also increased our investment even further by launching our Ground Engineering Professionals Programme, facilitating strong professional development to match the passion and skills of our talented people post-chartership.
We welcome the opportunity to discuss a flexible working pattern for this vacancy. For roles advertised under the category of flexible working we would encourage you to explore the flexible working options we are able to offer during the interview process.
Atkins has been named as one of the Times Top 50 Employers for Women for 2015. The listing recognises Atkins as an organisation that is committed to making the most of the women in our workforce.