We have a vacancy for a Senior or Principal Flood Risk Engineer/Consultant to lead our growing Flood Risk and Coastal Management team in Glasgow, which is currently 7 strong. You will have proven industry experience and a solid background in the following areas:
- Flood Risk Assessment and Management
- Hydrology and hydraulic modelling
- Appraisal of Flood Defence Schemes
- Project Management and Client Interface
The position is within Atkins Infrastructure Division, specifically the Water Management Consultancy Practice, and is based in our Glasgow office. Alternatively, this role can be based in our Warrington office, however significant travel will be required to Glasgow.
With an extensive client list including major transportation and energy infrastructure projects delivered through Atkins own internal market, environmental regulators, and growing demand from large secured frameworks with water companies and flood management authorities, we can offer opportunities to apply and advance your skills in a way rarely available elsewhere.
The successful candidate will sit within the Flood Risk and Coastal Management Team within the Water Management Consultancy Practice. The focus of the role is on the delivery of hydrology, modelling and environmental assessment projects for both our external and internal clients. As a member of this team you’ll have excellent technical skills.
You will lead the Glasgow Flood Risk and Coastal Management team, with responsibilities for developing our FRM business in Scotland, providing effective leadership and managing a range of projects including:
- Flood Risk Assessments,
- Flood Risk Management Strategies,
- Flood Alleviation Schemes appraisals, and
- Surface Water Management Plans
You will work as part of a wider national Flood Risk Management team with wider opportunities for involvement in high-profile projects from around the UK and overseas.
You will provide technical leadership and supervision within the Glasgow team drawing on your experience of civil engineering, hydraulics, hydrology, water resources and environmental impact experience. You will be expected to the interface with clients from the bidding stage to project delivery and will also liaise with and support the wider Atkins’ technical practices and divisions in the UK and overseas.
Essential requirements for this position are:
- Hold an appropriate first degree and ideally an MSc in relevant environmental, engineering or science disciplines
- Proven post-graduate experience in a relevant position
- Chartered status with an appropriate professional organisation (e.g. ICE, CIWEM)
- Demonstrable experience and track record of managing and delivering Flood Risk Management projects from inception to handover on time, quality and cost.
- Demonstrable experience of providing the lead technical role on flood risk, hydrology and hydraulic modelling studies
- In depth knowledge and experience of hydrological analysis techniques and/or hydraulic modelling methods
- Significant knowledge and experience using specialist hydrological and hydraulic modelling software including FEH, ISIS, TUFLOW, InfoWorks, HEC-RAS and MIKE11
- A detailed understanding of the relevant legislation governing planning and consent of works in inland waters and coastal environments
- Familiarity with other IT and software appropriate to the tasks undertaken, e.g. Word, Excel
Additional desirable requirements are:
- Knowledge and/or experience of undertaking scour assessments
- Knowledge and/or experience of scour and bank protection design, and design of other hydraulic structures
- Experience of asset surveys and management
- Experience of undertaking appraisal studies of Local Authority Flood Alleviation Schemes
- Knowledge and/or experience of using GIS packages such as ArcGIS, MapInfo, QGIS
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package
Salary £38,000 - £60,000 p.a. plus benefits depending on experience.