We have an opportunity for dynamic and motivated Senior/Principal Geotechnical Engineers. We are seeking experienced Senior / Principal Geotechnical Engineers to join our geotechnical teams working in the energy and infrastructure sectors. This is a fantastic opportunity to take a leading role in the ground engineering input to some of our most challenging projects.
As one of the UK’s leading geotechnical consultancies Atkins offers a comprehensive service in ground technology. With more than 300 professionals, Atkins’ geotechnical reputation is built on the skills, excellence and commitment of our people in all aspects of geotechnical engineering.
Atkins has an impressive current portfolio of prestigious geotechnical projects in the UK and internationally. We need to increase our resources to meet the growing demands from our clients, especially in the infrastructure sector (particularly rail, highways & water) and the energy sector, which includes carbon capture & storage, renewable energy (wind, current and hydro-power), low carbon engineering, offshore and onshore oil & gas and nuclear power.
As a result, we’re looking to grow our team and looking for people with the drive and enthusiasm to embrace the future. We have the depth of knowledge and breadth of expertise to help you build a bright career in this exciting and rapidly evolving sector.
We have offices throughout the UK and depending on the particular skillset and experience of the applicant we may consider locating the role in one of our UK hub offices (Epsom, London, Birmingham, Bristol, Warrington, Leeds & Glasgow), although other locations may be considered.
The successful applicant will be a Senior/Principal Geotechnical Engineer with a proven technical, commercial and project management track record.
Candidates should have the right flare and ability that will help us develop and expand our infrastructure and energy geotechnics capability by building on the existing portfolio of our rapidly expanding, flexible and outward looking team that can tackle work across a broad spectrum of sectors.
Candidates should have:
- A strong academic background with a relevant degree (ideally MSc or equivalent)
- Chartered status
- Proven experience of acting as a senior / principal geotechnical engineer in a fast-moving engineering consultancy environment
- Excellent interpersonal and technical skills and the ability to develop and lead geotechnical design teams
- Excellent communication skills and confidence to liaise with clients Good commercial track record in negotiating and running successful jobs
- Excellent report writing skills with the ability to self-check and produce accurate work
- Project management - Experience and understanding of the needs and approaches to the engineering consultancy and design markets, including relationships with clients, work planning and commercial management
- The candidate should be able to operate as a sub-project manager within Atkins, and as Atkins project manager for external clients.
- A flair for innovation
- A willingness to travel on short assignments both within the UK and overseas
Training and Development
The learning and development experience in our Ground Engineering team is different to that at most other companies. Here we thoroughly recognise the importance of our people and we invest for the long term to provide them with the technical, commercial and managerial expertise they need throughout their career. At Atkins our staff continue to learn and develop irrespective of their position or experience.
Our investment includes our acclaimed technical conferences, regular presentations and discussion groups, field trips, bespoke training courses as well as active on the job mentoring. We also have our Ground Engineering Academy to provide structured support and encouragement to staff in their progression to chartership. Fulfilling learning and development experiences include the opportunity for international assignments in a variety of countries.
We have also increased our investment even further by launching our Ground Engineering Professionals Programme, facilitating strong professional development to match the passion and skills of our talented people post-chartership.
We welcome the opportunity to discuss a flexible working pattern for this vacancy. For roles advertised under the category of flexible working we would encourage you to explore the flexible working options we are able to offer during the interview process.