Our Defence safety business is growing. We have a range of challenging projects requiring safety input and are looking for a senior or principal safety engineer to join our growing team working primarily in the land domain. As safety engineering professionals, we are passionate about what we do, developing solutions to challenging problems, supporting our clients, each other, and our own personal growth and development. If you want to work with like-minded professional people then we are keen to speak to you.
You will work on a range of client facing projects, large and small, but will also be expected to contribute to expanding our business and managing tasks. To be successful in this role you need to have the ability to work on multiple projects concurrently. Your key responsibilities will encompass the following:
- Providing safety advice to our clients on how best to forward safety in an environment where systems are increasingly complex and where interfaces and systems vary depending on the operational requirement;
- Auditing safety management processes and arrangements on behalf of clients;
- Leading or contributing to teams delivering solutions – this will include managing stakeholders and inspiring team members to perform to the best of their ability;
- Preparing detailed technical reports and presenting the findings of safety analyses to both internal and external clients;
- Providing independent technical review on delivery projects;
- Building sustainable relationships with clients, exploring new opportunities and managing these through to new work;
- Enabling and encouraging team members to learn and develop their expertise;
- Seeking out and acting upon opportunities for continuous improvement to the way we conduct business and project tasks; and
- Contributing to strategic discussions and taking on a leadership role in shaping the future of the Defence safety business.
The role is based at Atkins' offices in Bristol, but projects are also likely to involve working on client sites or at our other UK offices, with some travel requiring overnight stays.
- BEng or BSc (Hons) in an engineering/technical discipline or equivalent engineering experience
- Candidates with HND/HNC in an engineering/technical discipline or similar qualifications and considerable relevant experience will be considered
- Significant safety engineering experience in the procurement or supply of Defence equipment
- Demonstrable experience in the application of JSP 454 for land vehicles and systems
- Demonstrable experience in at least three of the following four aspects of safety work:
- The application of Def Stan 00-56 and ASEMS
- Hazard identification, analysis and risk assessment including use of appropriate tools and techniques such as HAZOP, SWIFT, functional failure analysis, event trees, fault trees etc.
- Compiling safety cases and hazard logs and writing safety case reports.
- Developing and implementing safety management systems
- Technical report writing skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills:
- You are comfortable presenting to senior customers
- Able to research evidence, filter relevant information and articulate it in clear and concise English
- Able to work effectively to defined timescales
- Excellent team working skills, you embrace the diversity of people and their viewpoints and capitalise on your people skills in your work
- Curious and insightful, you are always developing new skills and expertise
- Experience of working in complex engineering environments.
- Chartered Engineer or working towards chartered status
- Operational experience in the Defence land sector
- Masters level qualification in safety engineering
- Membership of an engineering institution
- Experience in the application of JSP 520 including the preparation of WOME safety case
Additional Information and Benefits
- Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year.
- Flexible working options will be considered.
- You will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
Atkins is one of the world’s leading design, engineering and project management consultancies; it is the UK's 3rd largest engineering consultancy. As such, we have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time critical projects. We currently have 9,591 staff in the UK and Europe with an annual turnover of £943.6m (as at 31 March 2016). Atkins is a FTSE 250 Plc.
We have clients in the public, regulated and private sectors. The multidisciplinary nature of our work allows us to draw on expertise from across Atkins to deliver complex projects within the UK Defence market.
Our projects cover a wide range of Defence engineering domains, including:
- Safety and supportability, human factors and training
- Programme and project management
- Systems engineering
- Mechanical and electrical engineering
- Software development
- Specialised infrastructure planning, design and refurbishment
- Software development
- Information / communication systems.
The work is always challenging and evolving, but if you’re ready to take on a challenge, and assume technical, commercial and project responsibility to your full potential, then Atkins is a great place to further your career in engineering.