“We are working on some of the highest profile projects in the UK and the world, and there is a really positive vibe.” Richard, mechanical engineer
Being a mechanical engineer at Atkins is an exciting place to be. Join our team and you’ll get to work on outstanding projects – like the Dubai Metro and Gatwick Pier 6 – that are transforming the world we live in.
We have an exciting opportunity within our Building Services division, based out of our Bristol office for a Senior/Principal Mechanical Engineer. The Building Services team cover a full spectrum of environmental, mechanical and electrical engineering design and consultancy services both locally and nationally and globally.
When you join our Infrastructure division, you’ll get to see your ideas put into place on the design and engineering projects that keep the world turning. You’ll work with a growing nationwide team who are all about making spaces and places work perfectly for people. Whether it’s an airport, transport interchange, university campus or the world’s first tidal lagoon, you’ll find that no project is too big or complex for us to handle.
The successful candidate will work alongside like-minded engineers and a multi-disciplined team. We are looking for a team worker, responsive, commercially astute, be able to communicate effectively, work on your own initiative and, on occasions, work from other Atkins offices or our Client’s offices. In return, we will actively fund and support career development and progression to professional status.
- To undertake Mechanical Building Services design on UK and International projects
- Preparing, carrying out and checking of design calculations (industry standard software), drawings and specifications prepared by others on a variety of buildings, including: airports, schools, hotels, offices, leisure facilities, MOD buildings, etc
- Preparation of technical specifications and managing fee budgets
- Preparing drawings for drafting by our in-house CAD team
- Representing Atkins at meetings with clients and contractors
- Report writing and maintaining records and archives to company standards
- Site surveys, inspections, and monitor site works
- BSc / B.Eng or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering or related subject/suitable equivalent experience
- Chartered Engineer, or working towards Chartered status, with Membership of IMechE or CIBSE
- Experience working in a design consultancy – experience of working within a contractor environment is additionally welcome
- Experience of working with Mechanical Design Engineering software, including Hevacomp, Cymap,IES, TAS and NES. An understanding of BIM and Revit would be beneficial
- Wider knowledge of other engineering disciplines highly desirable
- Capable of accurate work under pressure and able to work on several projects simultaneously
- Able to see wider picture outside own discipline in projects is essential
- Able to understand and express technical concepts in written and verbal language
- Able to innovate new solutions as well as applying existing solutions to problems
- Able to make decisions, act on own initiative and operate in a pro-active way
- Good report writing skills, experience of making presentations to and attending meetings with Clients is essential
- Willing to be mobile, travel within the UK and abroad for project related work as required
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations