Are you an experienced Naval Architect? Would you be interested in joining one of the world’s foremost engineering and design consultancies? Then this could be the role for you.The Role
Within the Energy business, our operations in London support projects focused on the design and operations of floating and fixed offshore structures. Having worked on 1000 oil and gas installations around the world, we are now the operator’s ‘go to’ company for difficult challenges from life extension to innovative new design. Become part of a team of over 2000 experts working in the energy sector located in North America, Asia Pacific, the Middle East, Europe and the UK.
Atkins is at the forefront of floating wind technology, currently designing the Dounreay Tri and Kincardine demonstrator projects. These cutting edge projects require Naval Architects who have the ability to solve complex problems and who are comfortable working on unconventional design, outside of the comfort of established codes, standards and practices.
As a senior technical member of the team you would assume Lead roles in multi-discipline design projects and consultancy tasks; acting as a ‘technical approver’ reviewing design, analysis and reporting tasks. Frequent collaboration will be required with colleagues in UK and internationally, including Houston Offshore Engineering, to support a range of projects. You will also support tender preparation through technical input, and will support the department head in line management and technical mentoring as required.The Person
You will have excellent communication, stakeholder management and influencing skills, and will be able to effectively manage both complex client relationships and internal delivery teams.
Comfortable at leading tasks, you are keen to support, mentor and improve/develop the capability of the team. You are also a motivator and take personal responsibility in achieving the best from the team to ensure client satisfaction. You are comfortable working in, and adaptable, to, new and changing environments. You are detail-conscious and confident in making judgements under pressure.
You have experience in the design and assessment of offshore floating and fixed platforms. Specific experience in concept and front-end engineering design to class approval level, along with overall design project experience is also preferable.
You have sound knowledge and experience of appropriate codes of practice, Class rules and the application of FE methods in design and analysis. This should include wave loading and fatigue analysis. Specialist expertise in consultancy – especially hydrodynamics and wave loading - would also be an advantage in lieu of prior shipyard or construction project experience.
The following is also required;
- B.Eng (Hons), M.Eng or MSc (or equivalent further degree) in Naval Architecture, Ship Science, Structural Engineering or other relevant subject
- Minimum Class 2:1/Distinction (or equivalent) required
- Chartered Engineer
Experience in one or more of the following would be desirable;
- Significant experience in the application of FE methods to floating structures – including wave loading, strength and fatigue.
- A sound knowledge of hydrodynamics, computational methods and physical testing
- Past experience in leading the design of floating structures, semi-submersibles, TLPs, FPSOs
- Knowledge of offshore mooring systems
- CAD methods and interfaces with analysis
- Classification Society, HSE and related codes of practice, performance standard led design.
- Construction, transportation and installation
- Preparation and management of tender activities.
- Practical/operational experience would be valuable but is not essential.
At Atkins, we invest in people. Without the technical excellence of some 18,000 staff we would not be one of the world’s leading engineering and design consultancies. Our philosophy is to help our people navigate a career path which enables them to achieve their ambitions. We offer flexible, rewarding work packages tailored towards career progression, which are founded on the principles of growth, ambition and excellence.
Our Energy business is delivering engineering, design and consultancy solutions to the oil and gas, nuclear, renewables, electrical generation, transmission and distribution sectors all over the world. Merging original thinking with our experience from 60 years in the energy industry, we help transform the potential of existing infrastructure as well as new resources and technology. We listen and lead across boundaries, bringing lessons learned from one industry or discipline to another to help realise our client’s vision. We deliver what we say we will, building relationships based on trust and integrity: there when we’re needed, fast; committed for the long term; adapting to changes and leaning into challenges.
People join us because they share a desire to be at the forefront of the energy sector and deliver outstanding projects. We empower our people to be the professional individuals they want to be, working on projects they feel proud of, making a different to the world they live in and the legacy they leave behind.Additional Information
Reward & Benefits
- This role will close on Friday 28th April
- This is an exciting time for Atkins, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our services in the Energy sector in the UK. As part of a single Energy business, there will be opportunities to develop your skills and experience in the UK working across all our Energy clients and also for international travel as part of the global Energy business.
- Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house and well as external training for all of our staff.
- Flexible working will be considered for this role.
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave. Flexible working options will be considered for this vacancy.