Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Globally, Atkins is the largest UK-based engineering and design consultancy and one of the world's largest design firms with nearly 18,000 employees worldwide. We have the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins is currently seeking a Senior Scientist-Ecology/Environmental to join our rapidly expanding Environmental Sciences group, in the Atlanta, GA office. The ideal candidate for this position will apply their ecological and environmental knowledge toward the assessment of project sites, along with preparation of environment documents and regulatory applications.
- Performs work which involves conventional practice but may include a variety of complex features such as conflicting requirements, unsuitability of conventional materials or procedures, or difficult coordination requirements.
- Evaluation of impacts from transportation and other civil engineering projects on the natural environment;
- Coordinate with design professionals and overall project team for accurate depiction of natural resources on construction plans and to identify opportunities for avoiding and minimizing potential impacts;
- Perform field investigations of projects sites including wetland and stream delineations with functional assessments according to applicable methodologies
- Perform GPS field mapping, post processing, and distribution of GPS-mapped resources in multiple formats;
- Document, analyze, and interpret quantitative and qualitative data on projects of varying complexity and size within Georgia and the southeast;
- Evaluate, map, and describe on-site habitats while identifying those potentially suitable to support protected species;
- Prepare documentation and technical reports detailing the findings of ecological surveys and coordinate with state and federal agencies;
- Prepare special provisions and permit applications for various regulatory agencies, including the US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) and Georgia Environmental Protection Division (EPD);
- Conduct site reviews with the USACE and/or Georgia EPD and participate in project meetings.
- Participate in mentoring and training of junior staff in each of the areas described above, and perform quality assurance reviews of work prepared by others.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- B.S./B.A. or M.S. in a field of Science to commensurate with hiring discipline; M.S. or graduate level coursework preferred. This level may be achieved by Scientists with minimum seven years' experience since Bachelor's degree, or six years' experience with Master's degree; typical incumbent has eight to ten years' experience.
- Proven analytical skills and attention to detail, technical writing, computer and communication skills.
- Aptitude for maintaining a professional attitude and attention to detail while working alone and within a team environment.
- Excellent technical writing and verbal communication skills with clients and colleagues.
- Strong organizational, task and time management, deductive reasoning, and analytical skills.
- Proficiency with the MS Office suite of software, ArcGIS, Trimble GPS, and Pathfinder Office.
- Professional certification/registration is preferred.
- Experience with review and interpretation of construction plans.
- Local candidates are preferred for this position, although there may be minimal relocation funding available for the preferred candidate.
- Eligible candidates must have a valid driver’s license and current US work authorization to work for any US employer without sponsorship now or in the future.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Atkins is a drug free workplace.