Our systems and safety assurance teams are currently experiencing significant demands to support exciting and world leading projects. We are interested in hearing from engineers and scientists with experience of military and civil systems, software and complex hardware development, assurance and certification activities to support current and emergent opportunities.
As engineering professionals and recognised leaders in the area of critical systems, we are passionate about what we do, developing innovative and pragmatic solutions to address challenging problems, supporting our clients and supporting each other to ensure our own personal growth and development. If you want to work in an exciting, rewarding environment with like-minded professional people then we are keen to speak to you.
You will work on a range of client facing projects, large and small, and may be expected to contribute to winning new business, managing delivery and supporting the continued growth of the company. To be successful in this role you need to be proactive and have the ability to work on multiple projects with many stakeholders. Your key responsibilities will encompass the following:
• Providing independent and expert advice on safety critical systems, software and complex hardware
• Leading and contributing to teams delivering innovative solutions including managing stakeholders and inspiring team members to perform to the best of their ability
• Building sustainable relationships with customers, stakeholders and experts exploring new opportunities and managing these through to exploitation
• Preparing detailed technical reports and presenting the findings of systems and engineering analyses to both internal and external customers
• Providing thought leadership on software and complex hardware assurance and safety in an environment where systems are increasingly more complex and where interfaces and systems vary depending on the operational requirement; preparing policy documents
• Providing independent technical assurance on project deliverables
• Enabling, encouraging and supporting team members to learn and develop their expertise
• Seeking out and acting upon opportunities for continuous improvement and
• Contributing to strategic discussions and taking on a leadership role in shaping the future of the Defence air business.
Based at one of our network of Atkins' offices including Bristol or Aldershot our projects may require some working on client sites and overnight stays.
• BEng or BSc (Hons) in an engineering/science discipline or equivalent engineering experience
• Significant experience of more than one of the following disciplines:
• Working within Defence, Aerospace or other relevant safety related sectors. We are especially interesting in hearing from applicants with experience in relation to any of the following standards: Def Stan 00-56, 00-55, 05-123, 00-970, MRPs, ASEMS, CS25/CS29, ARP 4754, 4754(A), 4761, RTCA DO 178B/C, RTCA DO 254, RTCA DO 200A/B, RTCA DO 201A, IEC 61508, AQAP 2210
• Assessing complex safety and software intensive systems and clearly and concisely assessing the implications relating to compliance and potential deviations
• Undertaking and supporting independent reviews including code analysis at Statement, Decision and Modified Condition / Decision Coverage level.
• Developing and assuring complex systems written in VHDL, C, C++, Java, ADA or C#.
• Undertaking hazard identification, hazard analysis and risk assessment including the use of appropriate tools and techniques such as HAZOP, SWIFT, functional failure analysis, event trees, fault trees and assessing the implications and importance of software and complex hardware as part of the analysis.
• Managing programmes and developing and implementing safety and certification management systems and strategies to enable compliance and provide assurance
• Providing independent technical review and audit
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills where:
• You are comfortable presenting to senior specialists and regulators
• You are able to research evidence, filter relevant information and articulate it in clear and concise English.
• Demonstrable experience of successfully leading and supervising multidisciplinary teams
• Excellent team working, inter-personal and communication skills; where you embrace the diversity of people and their viewpoints and capitalise on your people skills to support your work
Chartered Engineer, or working towards chartered status
Masters level qualification in safety and or software engineering
Membership of an engineering institution
Considerable experience of creating and maintaining safety cases and safety case reports
Demonstrable experience of conducting independent technical evaluation tasks
You will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted