Function and Scope
To provide high levels of technical input into the Building Structures group in the delivery of differentiating design solutions to our clients that embrace the Atkins Global Design Principals.
Provide leadership to technical design teams ensuring work is sufficiently programmed and resourced to allow designs to be completed to programme and the required quality.
Provide a competent, professional point of interface with clients, stakeholders and design teams both in an internal and external context.
Line of Reporting
Senior structural engineers will report to principal and discipline leads in the GDC.
- Lead small teams to undertake specialist and complex packages of structural engineering analysis and design to required quality and industry best practise including the preparation of design documents including calculation packages, reports, presentations and specifications from MEPD projects in the GDC.
- Manage technical interfaces and coordination of design within the discipline and leads simple multidisciplinary technical interfaces across disciplines at a project level in the GDC
- Manage technical interfaces and coordination of the design within the discipline between the GDC team and MEPD team at a project level.
- Ensure technical quality is consistency achieved through regular monitoring and review of work by others or under their supervision including reviewing design work carried out by members of the team in line with project specific requirements and Atkins BMS
- Review, assess and provide recommendations for improvements to all aspects of the technical design processes required for offshore working.
- Offer support, guidance and mentoring to junior members of the team to develop there competencies.
- Manage interface with BIM Technicians to produce relevant structural documentation to the meet brief requirements and best practise
- Developing and maintaining relationships built in trust within the discipline, across the GDC teams and with MEPD teams.
- Manage work stage budgets through detailed monitoring and reforecasting of resource demands to delivery work packages within allocated budgets and programme.
- Travel as necessary to MEPG office in Dubai for project start-ups briefing and close outs as required.
- Have a recognised degree in Structural Engineering.
- Minimum of 8 years professional experience with past Middle East Experience preferred
- Working towards Chartered Structural Engineer (IStructE or equivalent).
- Developed technical knowledge of Structural Engineering of Building-Type Projects, with particular reference to Structural Steelwork, Structural Concrete and associated Structural Analysis and Design/Detailing Software
- Working knowledge of relevant structural design software e.g., ETABS, Safe, Staad Pro, Robot, Strand 7, Midas
- Proven experience in the development of structural concepts and schemes for various building typologies and forms.
- Proven track record of successful contribution to the technical delivery of contract compliant. Structural Engineering designs to budget and programme targets.
- Technical knowledge and experience of European/US-based design codes/standards and Statutory Regulations.
- Experience in collaborative working and coordination within the team, internal Atkins disciplines and external consultants and clients
- Confidence to work within multi-disciplinary design environments.
- Excellent planning, time management and communication skills.
- Considers/ reflects on short, medium and long term objectives
- Develops/nurtures relationships across businesses
- Has the client at the forefront of thinking
- Responds well when there is a clear need to support the success of other parts of the business
- Offers ideas and suggestions for improving working practices
- Always delivers what is required, but also puts in that little bit extra when needed
- Proactive, able to work with minimum supervision
- Quick to ask for help on technical or practical matters