In Colchester we have been very successful in growing our client base working primarily on core building surveying and design and project management of many varied projects as well as working across the Group in our others divisions such as Energy, Rail, Water and Environment. Education is a significant part of our local workload dealing with both new build and refurbishment projects up to £25M. We have been successful in securing and retaining contracts with Thurrock CC, Essex CC, Cambridge CC, Suffolk CC, Hertfordshire and many London Boroughs as well as working for Academies direct and many of the larger contractors on D&B designs.
We have a vacancy in our Colchester office for a Senior Structural Engineer to work in a multi-disciplinary environment delivering a variety of refurbishment and new build projects. We can offer extremely varied and interesting work with a number of high profile commercial and public sector clients including work for Local Authorities and Central Government.
The main duties will be focused around:
- Design of New build projects, Extensions and Adaptations
- Structural Surveys, Defect diagnosis and the design, specification and management of remedial repairs
- Marketing and bid preparation
- You will also be required to carry out any other ad-hoc duties as required by the team
You will have the full support of the Structures Team Leader providing guidance and support to allow you to fully engage with the exciting developments which are happening within the business. Through our on-going success and commitment to provide excellent services to our clients, the role will encompass:
- Providing support to Structural Engineers as required in all business issues and across a broad range of engineering duties
- Design of small to medium sized projects, or sections of larger projects, so as to achieve the client’s objectives to cost and programme.
- Production of design calculation in accordance with the Euro Codes, specifications and tender documents, obtaining tenders and quotations, tender adjudication and analysis.
- Assisting Structural Engineers and multi-disciplinary teams with option appraisals and feasibility studies to determine best value solutions for clientsand fully co-ordinated design solutions.
- Gathering of information, surveys, research and report writing.
- General knowledge of Construction, Health and Safety Regulations, Building Regulations, and contract law.
- Monitoring site works to establish that it is being carried out in accordance with specifications and methods statements.
- Effective management of own time and assist with management of junior engineers, contract and CAD staff.
- Awareness of internal job costs in relation to the fee, services to be provided and resource requirements
- Preparation and submission of applications for Building Regulations, Planning or Listed Building consents
- Assisting with the development of Client relationships, Compliance with Atkins and client QSE procedures
- Assisting in establishing client briefs, appropriate fees, and commercial management through to completion
- Help develop the client base of the Structures team in the East Anglia and South East area.
We are looking for a key individual committed to long term development of their engineering skills within our organisation. The individual will have a strong commitment to team work and highly developed client relationship skills. Your expertise will include:
- Accredited honours degree or equivalent in Structural Engineering and a member of either the Institution of Civil Engineers or Structural Engineers (MICE, IStructE).
- Strong customer focus.
- Highly motivated and a self starter with ability to work independently within a consultative environment
- Team player used to working in a multi-disciplinary environment
- Competent in using Microsoft’s EXCEL, and Word is essential and familiarity with AutoCAD, Revit, NBS, TEDDS, and Robot would be an advantage.
- Good organisational and interpersonal skills and the ability to work well under pressure.
- Specification and report writing skills.
- Knowledge of Construction, Health and Safety Regulations, Building Regulations, and contract law.
- Commercially aware with a flexible attitude to both the type of work to be undertaken and the level of responsibility accepted.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to show evidence of continuing professional development (CPD)
- Current, full clean driving licence and owner of a car insured for occasional business use.