Atkins’ Design and Engineering business (D&E) combines the best in engineering, surveying and architecture to provide a full suite of services to clients in the public and private sector. Whether designing iconic buildings or maintaining property portfolios, D&E prides itself in offering intelligent, sustainable solutions and unrivalled expertise.
Right now, we are looking to add to our successful team by recruiting a Senior Structural Engineer Team Leader to work in the Colchester office and East Anglia Region. The successful candidate will act as Principal Engineer and Team Leader for the East Anglia Region Civil & Structural Engineering team.
The position is predominantly based from the Colchester office with a requirement to attend client meetings offsite, visit site locations and work closely with other Atkins offices to develop relationships with clients and Atkins colleagues. The work will cover East Anglia, into London and further afield in the South East and into the Midlands.
We are looking for a key individual to provide a committed, positive, proactive approach in developing and expanding both the business and the team. As well as ensuring the team deliver an excellent service with good commercial results you will be responsible for engendering the team to be positive and proactive in their approach to the business and its expansion. This role will provide an excellent opportunity for the right individual to further develop their management skills. The main duties will be focused around:
- Involved in the preparation of reports, designs, specifications and contract documents
- Expand relationships with clients
- Act as Team Leader for the Civil & Structural Team in Colchester
- You must be technically capable and willing to assist less experienced members of the team
- To technically review designs produced and verify completeness to technical and Atkins standards
- Manage design teams
- Liaising with other engineers/technicians to ensure updates to technical standards are maintained and disseminated to the team.
- Ensure that design briefs are completed satisfactorily
- Promote and incorporate sustainable design wherever possible.
- Promote and improve inter-discipline working with other disciplines such as Architecture, Building Surveying & MEP. Monitor emerging legislation and engineering standards relating to C&S engineering and ensure their implementation.
- Supervise the preparation of contract documents
- Liaise with clients, professional organisations, contractors, suppliers, sub-contractors and other design
- Operate the Quality Assurance system, quality control and document management in line with current policy
- Identify and meet effectively the requirements and expectations of clients
- Help to identify business opportunities
- Responsible for efficient and economic delivery of a team of engineers and technicians within projects, including remote based teams across the UK and India
- Motivate other members of the team and wider community by providing coaching, training, mentoring and CPD delivery
- Assist in the production of fee estimates and bids.
- Manage resources, costs and change control to ensure that projects are delivered on time and within budget
We are looking for a key individual committed to long term development of their engineering skills within our organisation. The individual will have a strong commitment to team work and highly developed client relationship skills. Your expertise will include:
- Accredited honours degree or equivalent in Structural Engineering and a member of either the Institution of Civil Engineers or Structural Engineers (MICE, IStructE).
- Strong customer focus.
- Competent in using Microsoft’s EXCEL, and Word is essential and familiarity with AutoCAD, Revit, NBS, TEDDS, and Robot would be an advantage.
- Good organisational and interpersonal skills and the ability to work well under pressure.
- Specification and report writing skills.
- Knowledge of Construction, Health and Safety Regulations, Building Regulations, and contract law.
- Commercially aware with a flexible attitude to both the type of work to be undertaken and the level of responsibility accepted.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to show evidence of continuing professional development (CPD)
- Current, full clean driving licence and owner of a car insured for occasional business use.
- Experience of working with D&B contractors in the region.
- Similar experience working in a multi disc design consultancy, with experience of concept, scheme and detail design across a range of sectors.
- Higher/Further Educational experience is preferable.
- Able to make decisions, act on own initiative and operate in a pro-active way
- Financial awareness and the ability to develop this skill further is required
- Ability to manage projects and design commissions relating to building services including project finances. Good ability to build up and maintain client and team relationships.
- Effective team worker, contributing to the team and wider objectives.
- Able to make decisions, act on own initiative and operate in a pro-active way.
- Excellent report writing skills, experience of making presentations and attending meetings with clients essential.
- Organise and prioritise their own time and tasks to enable the simultaneous running of several projects
- Be able to logically analyse problems from first principles to determine solutions.
- Possess strong communication skills, both written and verbal, and be able to understand and express technical concepts clearly and accurately.