We are seeking Chartered Senior Structural Engineers with experience in rail building design into our Design and Engineering business based in London Euston.
You will have the opportunity to work with major clients on stimulating and high-profile projects both in the UK or even abroad. As well as the role providing technical and creative challenges you will have the satisfaction of working on major projects which are changing the way people live and work today.
Our rail building projects include Crossrail, Station Stabilisation, and Birmingham New Street. We undertake a wide range of commissions for a variety of Clients, from initial feasibility through to detailed design and implementation support. You’ll be capable of undertaking structural design for an assigned project and support the multi-disciplinary design team.
- BEng / MEng degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
- Membership or close to membership of a relevant professional body, such as the Institution of Civil Engineers or Institution of Structural Engineers.
- Proven experience in rail building design.
- Previous design experience is essential including knowledge of design calculations, reports and specifications to industry and national standards.
- Sound understanding of relevant design standards, including eurocodes.
- Sound understanding of technical principles underlying civil engineering, particularly civil engineering structures.
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft Office programmes, particularly Word and Excel.
- Proven track record of producing high quality deliverables
- Rail knowledge and knowledge of Network Rail’s GRIP process and the various deliverables required at each stage is desirable.
- Sound understanding of Network Rail, London Underground standards and technical assurance procedures would be advantageous.
- Relevant rail industry experience of working within a design consultancy. Wider knowledge gained from working within a contractor and/or client organisation desirable.
- Sound interpersonal skills and ability to converse with a wide range of Clients and colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Lead the structural design for allocated projects.
- Carry out designs, design calculations, reports and specifications to industry and national standards.
- Use analytical skills to derive potential solutions to engineering problems and engineering judgement to appraise different options and recommend the most suitable solution.
- Be involved in the technical delivery of civil/ structural engineering projects / civil engineering input into complex, multi-disciplinary projects.
- Oversee the production of and review high quality design documentation including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications.
- Stay abreast of industry developments and changes in standards. Ensure that all design submissions produced are compliant with all relevant standards.
- Support and mentor more junior staff, in particular with their progression to becoming chartered.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.