We are looking for a dynamic and motivated Senior Systems Engineering Consultant to join our team. Ideally you will have experience of ICT systems design & delivery in the Defence domain across different parts of the life cycle. We are also happy to consider wider central government experience. As well as technical ability, this client-side role requires excellent communication skills in order to operate in demanding and complex Stakeholder environments. We are particularly interested in individuals who have practical experience of applying the following architectural approaches: MOD SE Processes, ISO 15288, CADMID, MODAF and TOGAF. Due to the sensitive nature of the client’s work, delivery is likely primarily to be on client site.
We are looking for individuals who can demonstrate a robust knowledge of Systems Engineering principles and practices in addition to a high quality track record in ICT systems Architecture & Engineering. Candidates will be influencers, shapers and comfortable operating in fluid and uncertain environments. Candidates will also be responsible for developing propositions and thought leadership
This is an exciting time in Strategic Technology Consulting, and the roles provide significant development opportunities that arise through working in a growth area in an expanding team. As well as technical delivery, you will be expected to support development of the capability through, for example, development of propositions and thought leadership and potentially assisting with the development and delivery of training. Additionally there will be a need to support or lead business development activities through leading or contributing to proposal development.
Atkins is a major supplier to the Public Sector and we have key accounts across Central and Local Government, Public Services, Regulated Industries, as well as the Private Sector. Our Aerospace, Defence & Technology (ADS&T) business delivers client side consulting, with a primary focus on programme and project delivery, technology enabled transformation, strategy development, business change management and implementation.
Our Defence account is a successful and growing part of our business, which is expanding in terms of both footprint and capability. We have built a high quality consulting team, attracting top-tier consultants and delivering high quality work.
You will demonstrate a range of abilities to support:
Delivering and advising on Systems Engineering activities throughout the engineering lifecycle
Communicating complex concepts and solutions in a compelling and straightforward way, yet underpinned by a strong grasp of the detail
Influencing stakeholders and non-technical team members
Supporting the marketing and selling of advisory and implementation Systems Engineering services programmes
Supporting the development of the Systems Engineering capability
You will be able to demonstrate excellent core competence and experience in ICT Systems Architecture & Engineering, with a solid Systems Engineering and related activities (e.g. IT Governance, Enterprise & Solution Architecture, Service Oriented Architectures). Additionally, we are also looking for people with experience and skills in developing business relationships, are strong team members with a passion for delivering great work. You will have a proven track record in some or all of the following areas:
• System Engineering Development Methodologies and Tools (Waterfall, Agile RUP, RAD, SSADM, etc.)
• Governance Structures between System Engineering Frameworks and complementary structures e.g. P3M, Enterprise Architecture.
• System Lifecycle Management including Sourcing Strategy, Design, Build, Test, Deployment and Disposal Management.
• Requirements Definition and Management - The definition and management of the business goals and scope of change initiatives. The specification of business requirements to a level that enables effective delivery of agreed changes.
• System Development Testing Strategies, including management of full testing lifecycles (e.g. Unit Testing, System Integration Testing, User Acceptance Testing, Penetration Testing, Operational Acceptance Testing).
• Business Analysis - The methodical investigation, analysis, review and documentation of business functions and processes, the information used and the data on which the information is based.
• Data Analysis - The investigation, evaluation, interpretation and classification of data, in order to define and clarify information structures, lifecycles and consumption requirements.
• Information Management - The overall management of the use of all types of information, structured and unstructured to support decision-making and business processes.
• Ability to influence and communicate with all levels of stakeholder
• Good general consulting skills (structured thinking, effective report writing and presentations, and strong stakeholder engagement).
• Ability to work under broad direction, with a high level of self-initiation.
• Experience of supporting the delivering and selling of system engineering advisory and implementation services programmes in a “blue chip” consultancy (e.g. Big 4, PA, Detica, Accenture, Capgemini, CSC etc).
• Experience of managing, and/or working in small teams in a Systems Engineering delivery environment
• A solid understanding of programme/project management and how it relates to the execution of Systems Engineering activities
• Good first degree with relevant system engineering qualifications and membership of professional bodies (e.g. BCS, INCOSE)
• Central Government experience is essential, particularly in the Defence sector; some additional wider sector experience (Local Government; Regulated Industry; Private sector) is desirable.
• Knowledge and experience of new technology trends and disruptive technologies, including cloud, government ICT strategy, social, big data and digital services
• Experience of leading or contributing to bids and tenders.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted