Atkins is looking to appoint a senior traffic signal engineer undertaking all aspects of traffic signals, from inception through to operation.
The successful candidate will have extensive experience in the field of traffic signal design, implementation and/or operation and will have achieved incorporated or chartered engineer status.
Responsible for undertaking and developing schemes both in the UK and overseas, the successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills and a strong awareness of CDM and health and safety issues.
Locally managed but working as part of a successful UK wide traffic signals team, team working is extremely important to this role however the successful candidate would be expected to demonstrate an ability to use their own initiative to deliver excellence on each of their projects.
An efficient and accurate working style with attention to detail is required and flexibility in order to meet project requirements is expected.
• In depth experience of traffic signal design
• In depth experience in the design, operation, configuration and validation of UTC/SCOOT
• In depth experience of traffic signal controller operation, TR2500 form and/or configuration writing
• In depth experience of FAT and SAT
• Good experience of MOVA design, configuration and validation
• Comfortable client facing and able to communicate and influence effectively in spoken and written English
• Able to win client confidence and develop effective client relationships
• Familiar with a wide range of ITS technologies, including UTMC, journey time measurement, VMS, CCTV, RTPI
• Project management skills, including ability to manage multiple projects for various clients
• Proven ability to learn new skills and understand complex technical projects rapidly
• Excellent problem solving skills and able to develop new and innovative ideas
• Business development
• Strong awareness of Health and Safety issues and CDM
• Holds Professional qualifications
• Able to work as part of a team
• Hold full driving licence
• Willing to work in various locations in the UK and abroad
• Project management experience and qualifications (eg PRINCE2)
• Asset management/maintenance experience
• Traffic modelling experience
• Experience of design or operation of other ITS infrastructure
• Undertake and review traffic signal schemes from inception to operation, including site surveys, design, installation, FAT, SAT and validation
• Monitor your own projects to ensure delivery to budget, time and quality
• Liaison with clients with the ability to discuss all aspects of existing and future projects
• Identification and development of project opportunities
• Identification and development of road network improvements
• Identification and development of added value in existing projects
• Authoring and reviewing technical reports
• Preparation of cost estimates and scopes
• The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate evidence of:
• Ability to work collaboratively in a complex matrix structure
• Ability to assist and guide less experienced staff on technical delivery and project management
• Ability to show initiative and examples of creativity
• A professional manner
• A clear and thorough communication style
• Flexible attitude
Atkins is a truly global organisation and our strategy means much of our multi-disciplinary work spans various regions around the world. We especially welcome applications from those who are able to travel and spend extended periods of time abroad.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Atkins has been named as one of the top 50 employers for women for 2011. The listing recognises Atkins as an organisation that is committed to making the most of the women in our workforce.