Atkins is looking for a talented individual to join our transport planning team based in our lively and friendly Manchester office. Manchester is an exciting and fast growing city, with a wealth of investment in transport projects, including in HS2, Northern Powerhouse Rail, the Metrolink network, rail stations and lines, Manchester Airport, and freight, bus, highways and active travel schemes.
What makes Atkins in Manchester standout?
• We are working with TfN and partners in the planning and delivery of strategic transport interventions.
• We are shaping the city’s future by working with TfGM on a number of commissions to develop and deliver the proposals set out in the GM 2040 Transport Strategy.
• We are working with Local Authorities across the north of England in supporting their transport planning and strategy development.
• We are supporting Highways England in the delivery of their Road Investment Strategy projects and in commissions through the Spatial Planning Framework.
• We are helping our clients develop business cases for of several large infrastructure and transit schemes across the North West for both local Government and Central Government.
• We are monitoring and evaluating the impact of several large infrastructure and transit schemes across the North West for both local Government and Central Government.
• We are working with land owners and developers to provide the transport solutions to take forward their major mixed use and residential development sites.
• We are exploring opportunities with clients to identify how intelligent mobility can ensure they are planning for a rapidly changing transportation system.
• We are undertaking stakeholder engagement and public consultation exercises in support of several of the above commission areas.
• We are a large and diverse team of Transport Planners based in central Manchester who are active in transport societies and professional institutes, actively support a host of charities and also enjoy a wide range of sports and social activities.
Our transport planning team works on a diverse range of projects and has ambition to grow. We’re looking for an individual who is able to take ownership of their work to help deliver exciting projects for local and regional clients such as TfGM, TfN, the Combined Authorities, Local Authorities, Highways England and private sector developer and business clients.
Key responsibilities of this role may include, but are not limited to:
• Delivering projects across a wide range of transport planning areas including sustainable transport, policy and strategy, feasibility studies, scheme appraisal and business cases, evaluation, stakeholder engagement and development planning.
• Providing technical expertise and knowledge sharing in the above areas.
• Managing local clients in relation to wider transport planning commissions and frameworks.
• As Project Manager, taking responsibility for teams delivering technical work.
• Building client relationships and actively promoting new business opportunities in the sector, including with partner local authorities and developer clients.
• Managing and supporting bidding for new opportunities.
Our Manchester team is part of Atkins’ nation-wide Transportation Consultancy Practice covering all aspects of transport planning. We have a strong forward workload with major clients in central and local government and with private sector businesses, land owners and developers. We have frameworks with a number of local authority clients and a track record of making a real difference on the ground. Our teams are currently delivering exciting and important policy, strategy and research projects throughout the transportation sector. We are at the forefront of national and international policy-making, supporting key decision makers at all levels and are also supporting cutting edge technology, including autonomous and connected vehicles.
At a local level, we have frameworks with a number of local authority clients and a track record of making a real difference on the ground.
Current and recent projects include:
• Strategy and case making: GM 2040 Transport Strategy; Manchester City Centre Transport Strategy; HS2 Manchester Piccadilly Local Connectivity (TfGM); SEMMMS Refresh (Stockport Council / Cheshire East Council); Highways England Strategic Economic Growth Plan; Route Strategies (HE).
• Evaluation: Integrated Sustainability Appraisal of TfN’s Strategic Transport Plan; A6MARR and Stockport Town Centre Access Plan (Stockport Council); Crewe Green Link Road Monitoring and Evaluation (Cheshire East Council).
• Multi-disciplinary: Port of Liverpool Access (HE); SPRINT Transit System appraisal and design (Combined Authority/Centro); A303 Stonehenge By-Pass Option Appraisal (HE).
• Development Planning and Development Management: Development-led masterplanning and Transport Assessment to support development applications for major sites; Development Management support to Local Authorities.
• Business Case Development: Stockport Town Centre Access Plan (Stockport Council), Stockport Interchange; Ashton Interchange; Salford Central Station (TfGM); A5036 Port of Liverpool (HE); M62 Junction 8 (Warrington Council).
• Cutting edge technology: Intelligent Data Collection (TfGM), Mobility as a Service (West Midlands ITA).
• International Financial Institutions: Turkey Transport Masterplan; Malawi National Masterplan.
In addition to the sample presented above, we have recently re-established a place as one of the key suppliers on the TfGM Transport Professional Services Framework. This is a four year framework with opportunities around transport strategy, transport policy development, intelligent transport systems, rail planning, transport appraisal and funding, transport modelling, commercial and financial advice and transport engineering and design.
Join our team and you’ll influence ideas that will enrich millions of lives. You’ll make the most of your quality focus, commercial brain and ability to deliver projects on time and to budget. You’ll have the opportunity to strengthen and develop your project and team management skills whilst expanding your portfolio with high profile projects. You’ll enjoy being part of a fun, fulfilling and collaborative team working at the very forefront of our industry.