Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Globally, Atkins is the largest UK-based engineering and design consultancy and one of the world's largest design firms with nearly 18,000 employees worldwide. We have the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Federal Management group in Charlotte, NC as a SMS Builder Specialist.
Provides expertise in the planning, implementation and maintenance of software development solutions for major projects. Under direction, applies innovative customization concepts and techniques to the solution of complex or unconventional problems.
- Participates in scope of work and estimate development utilizing technical domain knowledge; may lead scope and estimate for semi-complex projects.
- Conducts client needs analyses and may manage project development lifecycle for routine projects.
- Translates business requirements into software specifications for routine projects.
- Leads documentation and diagramming of business and technical requirements for routine projects.
- Participates in application design for routine to semi-complex projects. May lead the design of routine projects utilizing common design patterns.
- Provides database design insight and may perform database management tasks.
- Develops customized applications by writing well-documented code in the applicable environment to meet documented software requirements.
- Performs maintenance tasks on existing projects following the project’s established architecture/design.
- Writes code of sufficient quality as to result in minimal refactoring as a result of code reviews. Leads code reviews with junior resources.
- Continually demonstrates ability to reuse existing code and work within reusable architectures.
- Prepares data documentation for application development projects, following prescribed Best Practices.
- Maintains continued knowledge of technology developments in the field and use of applicable programming languages in order to act in an advisory role to clients and act as a mentor to other development resources.
- Implements, develops and evaluates plans and criteria for software development best practices by acting as chair for one or more Best Practices working groups.
- Analyzes complex technical problems and devises new approaches and alternative solutions.
- Performs such other duties as the Supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
- B.S. or B.A in Computer Science, IT-related discipline, or four years relevant computer programming experience after degrees in Engineering or other related disciplines. This level may be achieved by practitioners with 8 years of experience since related Bachelor's degree or 7 years since Master's degree.
- Non-degreed practitioners must demonstrate at least six years of direct experience in lieu of degree. Typical incumbent has 10-15 years' experience.
- Must demonstrate experience in overseeing the design and development of large applications and coordinating the work of multiple programmers.
- Must demonstrate experience with database design and/or administration of enterprise relational database management systems. Should possess excellent interpersonal, technical writing and communications skills.
- An industry recognized certification, i.e., Microsoft Certified Solution Developer preferred, or professional registration in the case of incumbents with Engineering degrees.
- Experience with SMS Builder a requirement
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.