Atkins is currently seeking a Sr. Signaling/Train Control Engineer for our North American operations. Candidate can sit in ANY of Atkins offices. In this role, you will be part of an elite team of signaling professionals focusing on North American projects with some opportunity to work internationally, if desired. As with all of our positions, this position is an entrepreneurial role in which you will be able to leverage Atkins more than 3000 rail experts globally to your ultimate success.
Our ideal candidate will be veteran of the rail signaling industry in the US with proven experience in designing and engineering train control systems, pushing the boundaries of technical excellence and levels efficiency found by developing better processes and procedures, and lastly a proven history or superior teamwork and the selfless pursuit of personal and company performance. While engineering excellence is important, it is equally important to have developed interpersonal skills as client interaction will be required for most if not all projects. Finally, our ideal candidate will have a reputation of technical excellence and trust in the industry. Trust and ability to follow through is critically important to Atkins and as a spokesperson, this position must be trusted above nearly all others.
Typical duties and responsibilities of this position are:
• Develop concept of operations, system requirements, plans and specifications suitable to tender a complete signal system
• Develop detailed designs, application programs, testing and commissioning plans suitable for execution by contractors.
• Present ideas, concepts and details to owners, contractors, and others.
• Coordinate with a wide diversity of stakeholders to develop integrated and accepted solution
• Coordinate and build partnerships both internally with Atkins and externally with partners to achieve goals
• Work with other to promote Atkins and develop opportunities for new work
The appropriately qualified candidate will have the following core competencies and required experience:
• A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related technical discipline.
• Professional Engineering License required and IRSE are preferred
• Ten (10) years of experience in the rail signaling industry with at least three (3) of those working for manufacturers or contractors and at least one project based in the US.
• Five (5) or more years of multidisciplinary project experience such as planning, project management, or large project systems integration, including use of ISO 15288 SE principals.
• Experience with freight rail, commuter rail, metro and LRT signaling
• Detailed knowledge of and experience with the design and implementation of relay based track circuits, ATC, ATP, ATO, PTC, grade crossings and CBTC signaling including but not limited to modeling and simulations, preliminary design, detailed design, RAMS, programming, field testing, and V&V.
• Preferred experience with multi-vendor equipment including Microlok, ElectroLogiXs, VHLC, GPC 3000/4000, SelTrac, etc.
• Demonstrable experience in specification development, engineering procedure development, standards development, financial management, estimating, etc
• Knowledge of railway operations, system safety, RAMS and associated requirements
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written, including technical writing) is required.
• Demonstrable experience in training, mentoring and developing staff and educating clients in all aspects of system engineering.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement.