We are looking to appoint a Technical Director into our London Structures Design Practice
Our Technical Directors provide design and technical leadership to our structural engineering teams in London and Epsom. Successful applicants will have a broad understanding of design, excellent holistic problem-solving skills, and a thorough understanding of engineering principles and how they are applied through codes of practice and industry specific standards. Atkins reputation is based on successful delivery and the role will require this technical knowledge to be translated into our team’s ability to respond to client needs and timescales.
This is also a great opportunity for a technical leader in the profession to develop our teams of capable and ambitious engineers. The successful applicant will educate, inspire, and motivate colleagues to high standards of design quality and to achieve successful delivery. We would expect the successful applicant to join and enhance our open culture where curiosity and imagination are valued alongside technical rigour.
In collaboration with our architectural team, we are enhancing our ability to undertake high profile, design led projects. Our technical leaders will therefore need to demonstrate a track record of creative design and the ability to innovate in a multidisciplinary environment. As a senior representative of Atkins, we would also expect the successful candidate to present our achievements to clients and to peers within the wider industry.
This role presents an exceptional opportunity to work within an internationally renowned design consultancy delivering projects across a range of sectors and in all parts of the world. The successful candidate will make a major contribution to high profile and large scale multidisciplinary projects that are changing the way we live today.
- A chartered civil/structural engineer with MICE or MIStructE status
- Extensive experience of structural engineering building design on multidisciplinary projects at all design stages
- A technically focussed engineer, with substantial experience of engineering and delivering in a broad range of structure types and materials
- Substantial experience of different construction techniques, buildability, and practical site issues
- Ability to effectively manage resources and to work within budget and to programme
- Experience in the use of software for structural analysis and design
- Practical experience of reinforced concrete and steel design to British, European and, preferably, American codes
- The ability to clearly communicate technical and design concepts through reports and presentations
- Good organisational and interpersonal skills and the ability to work well under pressure
- A flexible attitude to both the type of work being undertaken and the level of responsibility accepted
- Ensuring the provision of efficient, high quality, structural engineering design
- Supporting single and multidisciplinary project teams
- Delivering multiple projects or parts of larger projects to completion, within budget and to programme
- Working closely with clients and architects to produce creative designs to meet client aspirations
- Initiating, promoting, and driving forward programmes of continuous improvement for our structural engineering teams
- Assisting in managing the broader team through mentoring, training, and conducting annual appraisals
- Contributing to other technical and operational duties as required by the team
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.