Atkins Transportation is our centre of excellence for the design of
highway and rail infrastructure projects. We aim to be the first choice
designer for local and national highway authorities, Network Rail, contractors
and developers. We are working on a number of high profile projects and
frameworks nationwide, including Cambridge to Huntingdon A14 upgrade and Smart
Motorways programme through the Collaborative Delivery Framework for Highways
England, Crossrail, Great Western Electrification Programme, HS2 and related
We now have an opportunity for a Structures Engineer to join our team in
- Acting as a lead designer on elements of structural design for the A14 project during the construction phase.
- Liaison with other disciplines and teams as required on the project.
- Be able to carry out designs, design calculations, reports and specifications to industry and national standards
- Membership or close to membership of a relevant professional body, such as the Institution of Civil Engineers or Institution of Structural Engineers.
- Liaising with other 3rd parties (i.e. key stakeholders) as required on project.
- Technical responsibility for ensuring designs are delivered in accordance with current standards & best practices.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications required:
- BEng / MEng degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
- Previous Design experience is essential including knowledge of design calculations, reports and specifications to industry and national standards.
- Willingness and ability to be involved in the delivery of civil engineering projects and also of the civil engineering aspects of complex, multi-disciplinary projects such as the A14 project.
- Sound understanding of technical principles underlying civil engineering, particularly civil engineering structures.
- Experienced in the production of drawings in collaboration with CAD technicians
- Sound understanding of relevant design standards, including Eurocodes.
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft Office programmes, particularly Word and Excel.
- Proven track record of producing high quality deliverables with little supervision.
- Relevant highways industry experience of working within a design consultancy essential. Wider knowledge gained from working within a contractor and/or client organisation desirable.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.