Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Globally, Atkins is the largest UK-based engineering and design consultancy and one of the world's largest design firms with nearly 18,000 employees worldwide. We have the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Houston, TX office as a Survey Rod Person (Entry Level).
Under close supervision, performs entry-level Geomatics field and office work. Assists supervisor in performing all aspects of Geomatics including field surveys, raw data reduction, field calculations, CAD drafting, GIS data collection, etc.
- Copies and scans field notes.
- Assists field supervisor (Geomaticist, Data Specialist, etc) with all aspects of the daily workload.
- Sets up tripod and tribrachs over survey points.
- Cuts and clears brush and trees from line of survey, using brush hook, knife, ax, machete, chain saw or other cutting tools.
- Places survey stakes at designated points, as instructed.
- Cleans, carries and assumes responsibility for maintenance, proper use and safekeeping of all field instruments, equipment and tools.
- Ensures, through daily inspection, that survey vehicles have an adequate supply of equipment and materials for the day's operations.
- Maintains survey vehicles, parking area and office storage areas in a neat and orderly fashion.
- Performs such other duties as the Supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High school diploma (or equivalent) required; related prior experience as a rod person or instrument operator preferred. Three months related experience is required. Interest in pursuing a Geomatics degree highly desirable.
Ability to receive and follow instructions is vitally important. Ability to communicate effectively via electronic devices such as cell phones, radios, email, etc. Ability to work in a field and office environment. Ability to work in extreme heat and cold when working in the field. Ability to travel extensively out of town for work assignments.
- Job requires flexibility to work overtime and travel outside of home office location. Depending on the project, travel to survey sites may include the following: long commutes, overnight stays, temporary relocation near a survey site, and in some instances out-of-state or international assignments. If position requires driving company vehicle, incumbent must have valid driver's license and a driving record that meets company policy.
- Requirements include ability to walk long distances in rough terrain of survey sites, as well as the ability to work outdoors, occasionally under adverse weather conditions, and carry heavy loads; ability to communicate verbally and using hand signals.
- Job hazards include the use of sharp and heavy objects and working under adverse conditions such as road traffic, uneven terrain, animals, insects, and inclement weather.
General Competencies expected of all Professionals and Managers are as follows: Client Service, Commitment, Communication, Innovation & Continuous Improvement, Professionalism, Quality, and Teamwork.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.