We are looking for confident and willing individuals to join our Civil Engineering Practice in Chelmsford. This is an exciting opportunity for those wishing to take their first steps along a career in Civil Engineering as well as those with experience looking to join one of the largest and most respected consultancies in Europe.
You will be responsible for supporting Engineers in the delivery of civil engineering projects including preparation of engineering drawings, undertaking simple design work as appropriate, helping with site surveys, assisting with report formatting and graphics, and any other activities assigned from time to time.
Our current workload includes a multi-million pound portfolio of significant projects in London and across southern England including:
- Improvements to the Strategic Road Network as part of Highways England’s Road Investment Programme.
- Miscellaneous projects on the M25 and its key arterial links serving central London in support of Connect Plus Services who are responsible for the operation, maintenance and improvement of this critical motorway.
- A growing portfolio of schemes for Transport for London considering strategic junctions, structures and key infrastructure projects
- Projects of all sizes and stages of development from concept to construction with a diverse range of Clients including Eurotunnel, HS2 and Local Authorities.
This role will be based in our recently refurbished office in Chelmsford. As one of the newest cities in the UK substantial investment is being made in housing and retail. It is just 30 miles from London with excellent rail and road links to the capital. It is a city rich in heritage offering first class shopping, wining and dining, as well as beautiful parks, excellent leisure facilities and a vibrant nightlife
- A minimum of 5 GCSE’s, grades C and above including: English Language, Mathematics and Physics
- BTech in Civil Engineering would be an advantage.
- A willingness to learn
- An ability, or a desire to learn, AutoCAD and AutoCAD Civils 3D
- An interest in civil engineering and highway design
- An ability to communicate and follow instructions
- A good level of numeracy
- You should either have or be working towards acquiring a full UK driving licence
- Proficient in the use of AutoCAD to produce engineering drawings
- Preparing engineering drawings using AutoCAD
- Assisting in the preparation of reports and bid documents
- Assisting in the preparation of contract documents
- Assisting with simple site surveys
- Assisting Engineers and others with all aspects of the highway design process
- Project related administration
- Someone with a confident and professional manner
- Someone who takes pride in their quality of their work with an ability to self-check
- A proven ability to use your initiative, with a hunger to learn new skills
- A Good communicator
- Somebody with an ability to focus and flexible to deliver to tight deadlines
- Desire and ability to work within a team
- High expectation of own performance.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals on a regular basis through the appraisal process.