Atkins is looking for a talented individual to join our Sustainable Transport and Strategy team to be based in our lively and friendly Birmingham office. Birmingham is an exciting and fast growing city, with a wealth of investment in transport projects, including the regenerated New Street Station Gateway, the Metro expansion and the High Speed Rail Hub.
What makes Atkins in Birmingham standout?
• We are shaping the city’s future by working with the Midlands Connect consortium to develop the transport strategy for the West Midlands Combined Authority for the next 30 years.
• We are supporting a range of Local Authorities to deliver their sustainable transport projects as part of the Department for Transport’s Local Sustainable Transport, Sustainable Travel Transition Year and forthcoming Access Fund.
• We are helping our clients develop business cases for of several large infrastructure and transit schemes across the Midlands for both local Government and Central Government.
• We are monitoring and evaluating the impact of several large infrastructure and transit schemes across the Midlands for both local Government and Central Government.
• We are working with land owners and developers to provide the transport solutions which enable them to take forward their major mixed use and residential sites.
• There is a large and diverse team of Transport Planners based in central Birmingham who are active in transport societies and professional institutions, actively support a host of charities and also enjoy a wide range of sports and social activities
Our Transport Planning team works on a diverse range of projects and has ambition to grow. We’re looking for an individual who is able to work well in a team environment to help deliver exciting projects for local and regional clients such as Transport for West Midlands, the West Midlands Combined Authorities, Highways England and private sector developer and business clients. The analysis, interpretation and presentation of our transport planning outputs and findings in reports for clients is a really important part of our work. We are looking for a talented individual who has an attention to detail and flair for this presentation and analysis.
• Analysis of a range of data sets using mathematical, graphical and map-based interpretation
• Appropriate and innovative presentation of findings in reports and technical notes
• Assisting with stakeholder consultations, workshop sessions, site surveys and other site activities
• Supporting transport planner consultants with the development of reports and presentations
• Responsible for the completion of assigned tasks to time and cost
• Adhering to the company’s Quality, Safety and Environmental procedures
• Working as part of a team in delivering technical transport planning outputs to clients
Our Birmingham team is part of Atkins’ nation-wide Transportation Consultancy Practice covering all aspects of transport planning. We have a strong forward workload with major clients in central and local government and with private sector businesses, land owners and developers. We have frameworks with a number of local authority clients and a track record of making a real difference on the ground. Our teams are currently delivering exciting and important policy, strategy and research projects throughout the transportation sector. We are at the forefront of national and international policy-making, supporting key decision makers at all levels; and are also supporting cutting edge technology, including autonomous and connected vehicles.
At a local level, we have frameworks with a number of local authority clients and a track record of making a real difference on the ground.
Current and recent projects include:
• Strategy and case making: Oxford Park and Ride Strategy; Developing a Pan-Midlands Transport Strategy (Midlands Connect); Solihull Cycling Strategy and Design; Cotswold Local Plan Development; Highways England Accessibility Strategy.
• Evaluation: 20mph Evaluation Study (DfT); LSTF Delivery and Monitoring and Evaluation (various authorities); Evaluation of National HGV Speed Limit Increase (DfT); Post Opening Project Evaluation of Major Schemes (POPE of Majors); Post Opening Project Evaluation of Pinch Point schemes (POPE of Pinch Points) for Highways England and Rugby Relief Road Monitoring and Evaluation.
• Research: Improving the Customer Experience through Roadworks (Highways England); Customer Insight work for Highways England.
• Multi-disciplinary: Bermuda, Warwickshire Connectivity Study; SPRINT Transit System appraisal and design (Combined Authority/Centro); A303 Stonehenge By-Pass Option Appraisal (HE)
• Sustainable Transport Planning and Delivery: Delivery and monitoring Local Sustainable Transport Projects; Access Fund for Sustainable Travel Revenue bidding; Accessibility Mapping and Assessment; Public Realm and Town Centre Masterplanning Studies; Pedestrian Wayfinding Studies.
• Development Planning and Development Management: Development-led masterplanning and Transport Assessment to support development applications for major sites; Development Management support to Local Authorities.
• Business Case Development: Tame Valley Viaduct (Birmingham City Council), Stratford upon Avon 3rd River Crossing.
• Cutting edge technology: Flourish and Venturer Driverless Cars projects (Innovate UK), Mobility as a Service (West Midlands ITA).
• International Financial Institutions: Turkey Transport Masterplan.
In addition to the sample presented above, we have recently secured a place as one of the key suppliers on the Specialist Professional and Technical Services (SpaTS) framework for Highways England and the Department for Transport. This is a four year framework with opportunities around research, evaluation, innovation and technology.
Join our team and you’ll influence ideas that will enrich millions of lives. You’ll make the most of your quality focus, commercial brain and ability to deliver projects on time and to budget. You’ll have the opportunity to strengthen and develop your project and team management skills whilst expanding your portfolio with high profile projects. You’ll enjoy being part of a fun, fulfilling and collaborative team working at the very forefront of our industry.
• Degree in relevant subject or equivalent
• Strong analytical and numerate skills
• Experience of report writing
• Good verbal communication skills
• Proven IT skills, proficient in the use of MS Office software
• Proven ability to deliver work within set timeframes
• Application of GIS Techniques
• Application of CAD, InDesign and/or Illustrator software packages
• Full Driving Licence
• Has an interest in transport planning and associated disciplines
• Excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills
• A team player, dedicated to the delivery of projects
• Works to personally set deadlines with minimal supervision
• Be able to show initiative and creativity and has a desire to improve
• Confident and professional manner
• Enjoys working on both simple routine and complex projects
Atkins is a large international multi-disciplinary consultancy that offers great scope for your career. And we’re very agile in the way we work and respond to new challenges. Looking at things from every angle, we deliver innovative solutions by working closely with our customers at every stage of a project. The way we do things here is refreshingly different, and we’ll value you for exceeding customer expectations and delivering innovative solutions. We don’t believe there’s a better place to be right now. Our Transportation division is working on all kinds of great projects from smart motorways to driverless cars. And there are so many opportunities to upskill, grow your career and move between sectors.
Join us and you’ll be joining a business that places no limits on how far you can progress. You’ll gain experience on a diverse range of industry-leading projects; and have the opportunity to inspire and be inspired by colleagues in offices across the UK, and the globe. You’ll benefit from our promotion-from-within policy. And you’ll enjoy an exceptional rewards and benefits package including forward-thinking flexible working options to ensure that working with us works for you.