Atkins is one of the world’s leading Engineering and Design Consultancies. We have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time critical infrastructure projects
The Ground Engineering business within Water, Ground & Environment have opportunities for dynamic and motivated Tunnel Engineers for our Epsom or London offices. The candidates should have experience in the design of tunnels and related infrastructure.
Atkins is one of the largest engineering consultancies in the UK, one of the largest multi-disciplinary firms in Europe and fourth largest design firm in the world, with a turnover of £1.2Bn. The post of Tunnel Engineer will afford opportunities commensurate with a company of such size.
Atkins has an impressive current portfolio of prestigious tunnelling projects in the UK including High Speed Two and work packages on Thames Tideway.
We are seeking to expand the current team of dedicated technical specialists to deliver these exciting commissions, and to extend our capability in underground technology further within the UK and worldwide.
Closing Date: 21st April
Salary: £32,000 to £34,000
Working Hours: 40 per week
Duties & Responsibilities Include:
- Work on the development of Tunnel design from feasibility stage through detailed design, including construction support
- Production of engineering design and detail in accordance with project requirements
- Preparation of calculations, written reports and checking of contract drawings
- Checking of design calculations and drawings done by other engineers
- Visits to site as required by the project
- Writing technical progress reports
Candidates should have:
- A strong academic background with a civil engineering masters degree
- Chartered status (or able to become chartered) in civil or structural engineering
- Sufficient and appropriate experience within an engineering design company undertaking the design of tunnels or related infrastructure
- Proven numeracy skills (chartered mining engineers with a proven aptitude in mathematics will be considered)
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English (clear, concise report writing will be expected)
- A high motivation to succeed, and to progress and develop their chosen careers
- A personality compatible with a high degree of collaborative and team work
- A willingness to travel on short assignments both within the UK and overseas
The learning and development experience in our Ground Engineering team is different to that at most other companies. Here we thoroughly recognise the importance of our people and we invest for the long term to provide them with the technical, commercial and managerial expertise they need throughout their career. At Atkins our staff continue to learn and develop irrespective of their position or experience.
Our investment includes our acclaimed technical conferences, regular presentations and discussion groups, field trips, bespoke training courses as well as active on the job mentoring. We also have our Ground Engineering Academy to provide structured support and encouragement to staff in their progression to chartership. Fulfilling learning and development experiences include the opportunity for international assignments in a variety of countries.