Click here to download the PDF
Global energy markets and requirements are constantly evolving, and here at Atkins we plan, design and enable major projects across the Nuclear Energy sector. Atkins Nuclear is focused at providing our clients with multi-skilled support to successfully discharge their nuclear new build, decommissioning, waste management and ongoing operational responsibilities.
We have opportunities for Physics graduates to join our growing team to support our exciting and expanding workload in the nuclear safety sector.
The combined capability of our nuclear and conventional design groups has created a winning team, which is successfully providing planning and design of nuclear facilities. Our skills include nuclear safety, environment and engineering capability. Atkins is the producer of safety cases across all areas within the sector. From decommissioning projects to the exciting world of new build, we are currently providing safety case services to the majority of UK nuclear clients.
Atkins has had a significant involvement in the New Build activities from the point of time that the White paper was published indicating that nuclear could form part of the energy mix going forward. As the largest consultant in the UK, we currently provide support to potential developers, operators, vendors, regulators and government departments that all have interests in the potential future for nuclear new build in the UK.
- As one of our graduates, you will be involved in real projects from day one, with exposure to some of the most demanding projects in the UK. We encourage vision, problem-solving, ambition, enthusiasm and drive. We recognise that people are the key to our success and our graduates are the future of our business. Therefore we ensure that we provide them with a varied workload and encourage them to extend themselves in order to reach their potential.
With the support of the Nuclear New Build team in Epsom, you will work on the following:
- Nuclear safety case work for the new fleet of reactors
- Development of safety documentation across the nuclear industry - including major nuclear defence projects
- Project management work as you progress
- Opportunities to adapt to challenging projects that may be outside of your comfort zone and thrive in these situations
We are particularly interested in hearing from students that have studied an MSc in PTNR
- We are looking for individuals that have the ability to think laterally and possess a sound understanding of engineering principles. Ideal candidates will be able to demonstrate strong interpersonal skills and will be able to build and develop relationships, both internally and externally.
Candidates should hold or be expected to achieve a degree classification of 2.1 or above (or equivalent) at Masters level in Physics, and have achieved Grade B or above in A-Level Maths.
Using the information given in this job description please provide us with any information on
relevant degree modules when completing the application form.
Successful candidates will be eligible to join our Graduate Development Programme with a view to
becoming Chartered with the IoP, and therefore their degree must be accredited by the relevant
- The Individual
- Strong candidates will have:
- The drive and self motivation to achieve chartered status and to continuously develop your
technical & behavioural skills
- Ability to apply technical knowledge in analysing problems and creating solutions
- Able to work and communicate effectively within multidisciplinary teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work on your own initiative
- Flexible approach to work
- Strong attention to detail and ability to make correct judgements
- A commercial and client focused approach
- French speaker would be an advantage