Click here to download the PDF
With Atkins’ Rail business you will be part of a team that is creating and rolling out next generation transportation across the globe. With record investment in infrastructure, now is a great time to work in rail as there are plenty of opportunities for staff to come in and shape their careers.
Our business has secured major contracts including HS2, signalling frameworks in South East England and the Stafford Area Improvements Programme. We are also the lead design organisation for the Great Western Mainline electrification project which presents an opportunity to work on the first national electrification scheme in a decade.
By working for our rail business you will have the chance to:
- Deliver projects that will be used by millions of people each year,
- Work for a market leader in sustainable transport, and
- Become part of a multidisciplinary workforce located in the UK, Scandinavia, China, the Middle East, India and North America.
The Rail business of Atkins is split into three businesses – Rail Engineering Projects, Rail Communication Systems and Rail Solutions. All three businesses work closely together, supporting each other on projects and best practices, along with working with other Atkins divisions.
There are graduate opportunities available within Rail Solutions (London) for those with a BEng or MEng/MSc Degree in Building Services, accredited by the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineering (CIBSE).
Applicants must be flexible in their location as training will take place in a number of locations in the UK, and potentially abroad.
- Rail Solutions – London
- Graduates in the Rail Solutions division of Atkins join a multidisciplinary team delivering today's operational railway infrastructure. You will have the opportunity to obtain a broad range of experience, including bridge or rail route feasibility studies, electrification of rail routes, site investigation, structural detailed design, liaison with clients, contractors and external third parties, supporting infrastructure enhancement works and building services for stations and depots.
Graduates will work on variety of Rail Premises (Stations, Depots, Portals, etc), Infrastructure Projects
and a variety of activities including:
- Preparing project design, assessment calculations and drawings
- Preparing reports
- Preparing contract documents
- Considering advising on improving sustainability within the built environment
- Checking drawings and calculations
- Undertaking work on site such as inspections, surveys and contract supervision
- Communicating with suppliers, clients, contractors, the public and other engineers within
- Analysing problems and developing innovative solutions
- The Individual
- The drive and self motivation to achieve Chartered Status and to continuously develop your
- technical & behavioural skills.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively within multidisciplinary teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to apply technical knowledge in analysing problems and creating solutions.
- Ability to work on your own initiative.
- Flexible approach to work, and ability to prioritise and manage your time effectively.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to make correct judgements.