Click here to download the PDF
With Atkins’ Rail business you will be part of a team that is creating and rolling out next generation transportation across the globe. With record investment in infrastructure, now is a great time to work in rail as there are plenty of opportunities for staff to come in and shape their careers.
Our business has secured major contracts including HS2, signalling frameworks in South East England and the Stafford Area Improvements Programme. We are also the lead design organisation for the Great Western Mainline electrification project which presents an opportunity to work on the first national electrification scheme in a decade.
By working for our rail business you will have the chance to:
- Deliver projects that will be used by millions of people each year,
- Work for a market leader in sustainable transport, and
- Become part of a multidisciplinary workforce located in the UK, Scandinavia, China, the Middle East, India and North America.
The Rail business of Atkins is split into three businesses – Rail Engineering Projects
, Rail Communication Systems
and Rail Solutions
. All three businesses work closely together, supporting each other on projects and best practices, along with working with other Atkins divisions.
There are graduate opportunities available within Rail Engineering Projects
and Rail Solutions
for those with a BEng or MEng/MSc Degree in Mechanical Engineering. Successful candidates will be eligible to join the Rail / Institution of Mechanical Engineers graduate training scheme and work towards becoming a Member of the IMechE / IRSE, therefore the qualification held must be accredited with a relevant institution.
Applicants must be flexible in their location as training will take place in a number of locations in the UK, and potentially abroad.
- Rail Engineering Projects
- The Rail Engineering Projects business specialises in the feasibility studies, design, installation, testing, commissioning and handback of signalling schemes, varying in size from updating point machines and level crossings to major upgrades at Stafford and East Kent. We work closely with the Rail Communication Systems and Rail Solutions businesses to ensure we deliver a package encompassing all rail infrastructure. We have recently won frameworks to deliver signalling, and other infrastructure work, in the Southern and East Anglia regions for the next seven years.
Graduates in the Rail Engineering Projects business will join the Atkins REP Academy offering a programme and career path for Graduates wishing to pursue a career in railway signalling projects. We are looking for Graduates with a variety of degrees which reflects the varied career paths available. The Academy provides two pathways – the “projects pathway” will provide you with extensive project experience, normally seeing a project through “from feasibility study to handover to the Client and the “innovations pathway” will provide experience of creating innovations, developing existing innovations and applying them within projects.
Within the Academy, you will supplement your degree by passing the Institution of Railway Signalling Engineers (IRSE) examinations to gain industry knowledge and competence. You will gain Chartered status through the IRSE.
We have opportunities across the country, based in Glasgow, York, Crewe, Birmingham, Swindon and Croydon.
- Rail Solutions
- Graduates in the Rail Solutions division of Atkins join a multidisciplinary team delivering today's operational railway infrastructure. You will have the opportunity to obtain a broad range of experience, including bridge or rail route feasibility studies, electrification of rail routes, site investigation, structural detailed design, liaison with clients, contractors and external third parties, supporting infrastructure enhancement works and building services for stations and depots.
We have opportunities in London.
Successful candidates will be eligible to join the Rail / Institution of Engineering Technology graduate training scheme and work towards becoming a member of the IET.
- Typical Responsibilities for Rail Graduates
- Design Calculations and drawings for assigned projects within the Rail Portfolio
- Project Management of work Packages
- Undertaking site surveys
- Report Writing
- Client Engagement activities from the outset, including attending project meetings, issuing project updates
- Feasibility Studies
- Planning, procuring and implementing site investigation works
- Analysing problems and developing innovative solutions
- Communicating with suppliers, clients, contractors, the public and other engineers within Atkins
- Responsible for ensuring that all works are carried out safely
- The Individual – applies to all vacancies
- The drive and self motivation to achieve Chartered Status and to continuously develop your technical & behavioural skills.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively within multidisciplinary teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to apply technical knowledge in analysing problems and creating solutions.
- Ability to work on your own initiative.
- Flexible approach to work, and ability to prioritise and manage your time effectively.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to make correct judgements.