Click here to download the PDF
Advanced communication networks and secure, efficient information management are fundamental to a successful economy. The Communications division of Atkins offers a unique combination of global reach and local delivery excellence across the entire communications spectrum. From broadband consultancy to advanced biometric airport security systems, from 3D reverse engineering projects to cyber security, Atkins plans, designs and enables solutions for clients in all of these fields.
At Atkins we pride ourselves on solving challenging and complex problems to the complete satisfaction of our clients. Our information and communications technology (ICT) consultancy ensures technology not only meets the requirements of its users but that it is implemented and managed to realise the promised benefits. ICT is integral to modern life and effective electronic communications systems and data networks underpin the modern world.
Atkins provides expert consultancy that covers the full lifecycle of the design and implementation of these systems. We bring our expertise to ensuring that the ICT strategy is comprehensive, the design is robust, the implementation is successful and the ongoing management delivers the benefit.
This comprehensive approach covers a wide range of disciplines including enterprise architecture, business analysis, systems engineering and service management. We also understand the context that ICT sits within, whether this be a new public service or a new building, and adopt a holistic approach that engages all stakeholders and delivers fully integrated solutions.
Our deep specialist skills and knowledge include the following areas:
- Information security – We understand and implement the procedures and processes to deliver systems in some of the highest security environments.
- Complex (tele)communications and IT networks.
- Wireless/radio and WirelessLAN.
- Identity management – We have been involved in many ground breaking systems to provide identity assurance and have developed facial recognition systems.
- Collaboration – We have played a leading role in collaboration technologies, participating in the EU initiative on innovative collaboration technologies, as well as research at Imperial College on collaboration networks.
- Geospatial – We plan all aspects of our clients’ projects, and conduct feasibility and strategy studies. We design and develop GI applications and software solutions to help our clients to make the most of their spatial data, and we enable our clients to realise the benefits of GIS through the provision of advice, support, management, and maintenance services.
- ICT in construction – We are experts in designing ICT for technology rich buildings with complex user needs such as airports, hospitals and schools.
- High Integrity Systems – We have been involved in High Integrity software development for over 25 years.
- Bespoke software development – We develop business intelligence solutions and bespoke interactive web applications.
In the Communications division you will work alongside leading industry experts and gain exposure to the latest technology whilst working across a variety of market sectors. This will provide you with unique insights and a learning experience second to none; all within a company declared one of the
‘25 Best Big Companies to Work For’ by The Sunday Times in 2011.
- Communications and Networks
- Working in our Epsom and Glasgow offices as an Atkins consulting ICT engineer within the communication and networks element of our communications business, you will be involved in the design and development of a wide variety of electronic communications systems and data networks. Working with our clients and their ICT systems, you could be responsible for any aspect of a developing telecommunications system, from the analysis of user requirements through to managing installation contracts. You could be exposed to every aspect of the engineering of electronic communications systems; from infrastructure (e.g. optical cable networks and radio) through to the configuration of complex data networks and control systems. You could find yourself working on systems for a new airport or hotel, university or defence installation. Alternatively, your work could involve the development of next-generation broadband networks.
- Systems and Business Solutions
- Based in our Bristol, Epsom and Farnham offices is the Systems element of our Communications business. Working as a Systems Engineer or Software Developer across a wide customer base, you could be involved in a range of projects across the full project lifecycle including Requirement Gathering, Business Analysis, Design, Coding, Testing, Development and ongoing Support & Maintenance. Working in the fields of Telemetry, Industrial Automation and Control Systems, Identity Assurance, Geospatial Information Systems and Information Management, our services include the provision of independent technical advice to Customers, the supply of commercial off the shelf software combined with support and custom application training, the development of custom applications using a blend of Microsoft development tools, 3rd party API’s and industry leading databases and the supply and maintenance of our product portfolio.
Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
We have opportunities available in Epsom, Bristol, Glasgow and Farnham, Please take note of the locations available for each division within the Communications and Systems business when making your application.
- Our Communication and Systems graduate roles involve a range of activities but you would be required to:
- Support the delivery of engineering projects, working as part of a team.
- Provide a responsive, customer-focused service to external and internal clients.
- Perform and deliver allocated project tasks, as directed by your project manager
- Produce high quality, cost-effective technical work
- Meet and aim to improve upon project cost and programme targets
- Understand the project and business goals and to help to achieve them
- Communicate effectively with colleagues and clients (internal and external)
- Find new and better ways of doing things
- Seek support and guidance in good time when in doubt
- Minimum of a Bachelors with a 2:1 classification, but ideally a Masters level or equivalent. Communication and Systems or Security industry experience would be desirable though this is not essential. We are keen to consider candidates from the following degree course disciplines:
- Electronic or Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Computer Science and related disciplines
- Communications Engineering
- IT and related disciplines
- Mathematics (including combined Maths and computing - for Systems only)
- Systems Engineering
- Geographical Information Systems
- The Individual
- The drive and self motivation to achieve chartered status and to continuously develop your technical & behavioural skills
- Ability to apply technical knowledge in analysing problems and creating solutions
- Able to work and communicate effectively within multidisciplinary teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work on your own initiative
- Flexible approach to work
- Strong attention to detail and ability to make correct judgements