Atkins’ Education market is growing fast and has ambitious targets to deliver the very best planning, architecture, engineering and surveying services to clients in the public and private sector. Whether designing bespoke new build facilities or providing innovative solutions to existing building we prides ourselves in offering intelligent, sustainable solutions unrivalled expertise.
We are currently recruiting for Associate Architects or Associate directors to join the education team in our London office.
We are looking to fill two separate roles, the first role requires an individual with direct experience of a project lead role as part of a main contractor design team. A detailed understanding of the design and delivery of primary and secondary schools is essential, and the willingness to develop contractor led standardised design solutions. We are looking for an individual to develop these contractor relationships and support our work winning initiative in this area.
Additionally we are also seeking an individual with direct experience of leading and developing projects with several London local authorities. This candidate would need detailed knowledge of local authority procurement routes. Again we are looking for an individual to develop these Local Authority relationships and support our work winning initiative in this area.
An understanding of the EFA’s process, the FOS requirements and the ability to engage with education end users is essential. A working knowledge of BIM together with a collaborative working approach are some of the attributes we are looking for.
Successful candidates should be familiar with the full construction process from business development, to bidding and project delivery - including the successful commercial management of projects.
- Business Development
- To lead and support business development and work winning/bidding within the education sector.
- To secure work through bidding and developing compelling design concepts.
- Establish, maintain and develop relationships with key clients and prospective clients
- Proven track record of winning and developing new business opportunities
- Identifying opportunities and supporting the development of winning bids for projects in the education sector both single discipline and multi-disciplinary
- To manage and inspire a team through strong and appropriate leadership
- To ensure design responses are pragmatic and respond to the client brief whilst respecting the opportunities and constraints that each site affords, through climate, context and culture.
- To continue to develop designs that are firmly rooted with a strong narrative and that seek to enhance our reputation
- Lead projects by providing design and technical leadership for major projects
- Liaison with key clients and be capable of discussing design/technical solutions to stakeholders including technical and non-technical clients – both in projects and at tender stage
- Successful delivery of projects to a high level of quality and client satisfaction acting as Lead Consultant/Design Manager
- Strategic vision of the market and industry and ability to focus our business to take full advantage of market conditions
- Detailed knowledge of our competitors, understand our market differentiators and help to shape them
- Experience in preparing bids and tendering.
- Proven team management skills and experience
- Development of the design culture and capability of our multi-disciplinary design team(s)
- An inclusive leader with a confident operating style who is able to deal with diversity within the teams that they manage
- A resourceful, articulate and clear communicator with the ability to influence others
- Be able to work calmly under pressure and lead, inspire and motivate our teams