Function and Scope
To lead the Multi D Design Studio MEP building services team fulfilling a senior leadership role within the team, providing personnel and technical leadership and mentoring the team, focused on the delivery of Middle East Property Group(MEPG) projects.
Responsible for the development and implementation of the highest levels of technical delivery of MEP building services engineering in line with Atkins Design Principles to ensure the quality and timeliness of project delivery.
Liaise with other discipline leads to maintain a holistic overview of the delivery of projects to meet time, quality and budgetary targets, whilst meeting or exceeding clients’ expectations. An essential component will be to monitor and maintain resources required for all current and future projects through securing resources from the greater GDC resource pool as necessary.
Act as the focal point for the MEP building services discipline within the GDC to ensure that communication and design processes are continually improved.
This person will also make positive contributions to assist with marketing of our services through bid and proposal preparation and general promotional activities.
Line of Reporting
Reports directly to the Head of Multi D Design Studio in the GDC maintaining a close working relationship with the Head of Discipline in MEPG.
- Ensure for all projects, at the commencement of each stage, that full briefing documentation has been received and reviewed for completeness and handovers have been conducted before GDC teams commence with MEPG projects
- Provide technical leadership and support to engineering teams undertaking all packages of MEP Building Services analysis and design to required quality and industry best practice including the preparation of design documents including drawings, calculation packages, reports, presentations and specifications for MEPG projects undertaken in the GDC
- Support project and technical leads in the leadership of technical interfaces and coordination of design within the discipline and multidisciplinary technical interfaces across disciplines at a project level with the MEPG teams
- Responsible for ensuring technical quality is consistently achieved through regular monitoring and review of work by others or under their supervision including reviewing design work carried out by members of the team in line with project specific requirements and Atkins BMS
- Evaluate, review, assess and provide recommendations for improvements to all aspects of the technical design processes required for offshore working and provide potential mitigation strategies and improvements to drive continuous improvement processes
- Lead in the support, guidance and mentoring to all members of the team to develop their competencies
- Lead the development of digital technology and innovation within the MEP building services team
- Ensure appropriate interfaces with the BIM team lead to coordinate resource and technical requirements for all projects
- Develop and maintain relationships built in trust within the discipline, across the GDC teams and with MEPG teams and senior MEP leadership in both locations
- Overview of all work stage budgets for all projects through detailed monitoring and reforecasting of resource demands against allocated budgets and programme and provide mitigation strategies to address potential issues with budgets
- Attending design team meetings, briefing sessions and project reviews
- Travel as necessary to MEPG office in Dubai for project start-ups briefing and close outs as required.
- Lead risk management through all project stages ensuring that both GDC technical and commercial risks are identified and mitigation strategies are put in place and agreed with MEPG as necessary.
- Have a recognised degree in engineering
- Minimum of 15 years relevant professional experience with past Middle East experience preferred
- Chartered Engineer (C Eng. or equivalent)
- Developed technical knowledge of MEP building services engineering of property projects, with particular reference to retail, commercial, residential and hospitality projects.
- Working knowledge of relevant MEP building services software including design, analysis and documentation software
- Proven experience in the development of MEP building services concepts and schemes for various building typologies and forms
- Proven track record in leading teams of people and multi-disciplinary projects
- Technical knowledge and experience of European/US-based design codes/standards and Statutory Regulations
- Experience in collaborative working and coordination within the team, internal Atkins disciplines and external consultants and clients
- Confidence to work within multi-disciplinary design environments
- Excellent planning, time management and communication skills
- Culturally sensitive with experience in operating in a multicultural environment
- Develops and nurtures relationships across the businesses
- Has the client at the forefront of thinking
- Responds well when there is a clear need to support the success of other parts of the business
- Offers ideas and suggestions for improving working practices
- Always delivers what is required, but also puts in that little bit extra when needed
- Finds ways of building a good rapport with customers and to better understand their needs
- Quick to ask for help on technical or practical matters