As the UK's largest engineering consultancy and Europe's largest multi-disciplinary consultancy, Atkins aim is to be the automatic choice for major projects within the UK and overseas. We are at the forefront of planning, designing and enabling the spaces and places in which we live; from developing vibrant and sustainable cityscapes and streetscapes, to supporting critical infrastructure that we don’t always see, such as waste water, communications and energy.
The Transportation business here at Atkins is at the forefront of shaping the future of transport and we currently have an excellent opportunity for a motivated individual eager to accelerate their career over the coming years. Together with our rewarding benefits package and our promise of flexible working, you’ll have the perfect balance to bring your personal and career goals to fruition.
Our London Cities, Spaces and Development Planning (CS&DP) Practice has an excellent reputation for Public Realm, Pedestrian, Cycle and Wayfinding Planning and Highway Design. In addition we have an established track record of successfully delivering a wide variety of award winning projects to both local and national clients.
Our team is currently involved in a number of high profile projects with a variety of clients in the UK and overseas, including The Crown Estate, Transport for London, London Borough of Richmond, Royal Borough of Kingston Upon Thames, Hampshire County Council and Stoke City Council.
Our current portfolio of work comprises a diverse mix of local, national and international masterplanning, development planning and engineering projects. A selection of our current and recent projects include:
• Twickenham Town Centre Public Realm Scheme
• Kingston Mini Hollands Cycling Programme
• Stoke wayfinding strategy
• National Gallery of Ireland wayfinding
• The Royal Parks Walking and Cycling Design Guide
• A12 Bow Vision Connectivity project
• Peckham and Tooting Pedestrian Town Centre Programme
• Canberra Central Movement Study
We’re now on the lookout for someone who has a demonstrable track record and solid technical capability. As a senior member of the CS&DP London team you will lead, manage and work on a variety of wayfinding, public realm, pedestrian, cycle and transport planning projects of varying scope and scale for both public and private sector Clients.
• Appropriate academic and professional qualifications (Degree qualified in a relevant discipline).
• Experience in a range of transport and specifically pedestrian planning techniques e.g. analysing and presenting pedestrian movement, planning of pedestrian / cycling schemes, survey techniques / strategy development.
• Experience in the analysis of pedestrian movement as part of wider transport or public realm studies.
• Experience and skilled in the management of small technical teams, particularly in pedestrian movement / cycle planning and feasibility.
• Experience of working on wayfinding projects (strategy, design, delivery).
• Experience of delivering successful stakeholder engagement methods and techniques as part of public realm, regeneration or transport planning projects.
• Experience (at least three years) of client management.
• Evidence of project direction and senior project management.
• Evidence of successful production of high quality, desk top published style reports.
• Experience of project bidding, including leading and preparing technical bid submissions and costings
• Experience of specialist pedestrian techniques tools e.g. Pedestrian Environment Review System / Pedestrian Level of Service analysis.
• Experience of planning cycle projects (feasibility, planning, outline design, stakeholder management)
• Experience of techniques for assessment of public realm / transport planning projects
• Understanding of principles of public realm design
• Understanding of transport / traffic demand forecasting techniques
• Understanding of vehicular movements and impact on planning the public realm
• Ability to shape thinking based upon personal credibility and the building of relationships.
• Able to develop effective and enduring professional relationships.
• Results focused ensuring projects are delivered successfully.
• Analytical, able to gain an appreciation of relevant technical issues.
• Able to exercise sound judgements in all areas sometimes whilst under pressure of project deadlines.
• Ability to manage small teams of people and inspire confidence and respect
• Must be able to relate and communicate effectively with people at all levels.
You will provide a senior role for the CS&DP Practice, you will be responsible for the technical delivery, project management and client management of a range of projects, including;
• Pedestrian and space planning for a range of contexts from city wide down to streetscapes and complex buildings. Either delivered as standalone projects or as part of a bigger public realm project.
• Wayfinding projects delivered in both urban realm (town centre) and interior (airport/railway terminals, museums, public buildings) environments
• Pedestrian and cycling feasibility, guidance and policy for a range of stakeholders
• Public realm and transport planning projects
Being a senior member of the business, you will directly help with delivering the financial targets for CS&DP through business development, bidding and minimisation of commercial risk.
You will work with the Practice Manager, Team Leaders and other senior team members to drive the CS&DP business forward through key client engagement and work delivery across UK and overseas projects.