Are you an experienced, motivated transport planner with an understanding of UK transport policy? Do you thrive on taking ownership of exciting and challenging projects and delivering for high profile clients? Do you want to work in a flexible environment with great career and social opportunities?
Join us and work on exciting policy, strategy and research projects for a diverse range of clients including Department for Transport, Network Rail, Highways England, Transport for London, Hampshire County Council and Portsmouth City Council.
You’ll be part of a well-respected Transportation consultancy team within Atkins, working from our Epsom offices. We are at the forefront of national and international policy-making, supporting key decision makers at all levels and cutting edge technology, including autonomous and connected vehicles.
With us, you’ll influence ideas and enrich millions of lives. You’ll make the most of your quality focus, commercial brain and ability to deliver projects on time and to budget. You’ll have the opportunity to strengthen and develop your management skills while expanding your portfolio with high profile projects. And you’ll enjoy being part of a fun, fulfilling and collaborative team working at the forefront of our industry.
Epsom sits on the edge of the North Downs and is also close to London, so there are numerous opportunities for outdoor and leisure pursuits. Major road and rail links make it easy to get anywhere around the country.
• To manage projects across a wide range of transport planning areas including policy and strategy, scheme appraisal and business cases, evaluation, and stakeholder engagement.
• To provide technical expertise in the disciplines described above, ensuring technical excellence and a first-class product for our clients.
• To identify and implement opportunities for deploying innovative styles and techniques in project delivery
• To support senior Project Directors in delivering large complex projects for key clients.
• To take responsibility for teams delivering technical work and for developing staff skills through project delivery.
• To manage and support bidding for new opportunities.
The role will suit individuals who are:
• Self-motivated and ambitious for continued career development.
• Excellent technical project managers and keen to build their own portfolio of projects.
• Familiar with recognised project management practices, though formal project management qualifications are not required.
• Driven to deliver technical excellence within commercial and financial constraints.
• Experienced in one or more of the fields described above, and with a track record in delivering UK transport planning projects.
• Knowledgeable about the current UK transport policy context and able to utilise this knowledge through projects and client interaction.
• Able to work within larger multi-disciplinary project teams across Atkins.
• Good communicators, with strong report writing and presentational skills.
• Able to work closely and collaboratively with clients.
• Committed to continuous improvement and innovation across transport planning.
• Willing to work simultaneously on a number of projects and flexible to work with different teams around our UK offices.
Current and recent projects include
• Strategy and case making: Road Investment Programme for the South East (Highways England); A new runway for the South-East (DfT); Basingstoke West Strategic Transport Study - Garden Cities Capacity Fund; Oxford Park & Ride Strategy; Crossrail 2 Scheme Development; Developing a Pan-Midlands Transport Strategy (Midlands Connect); Portsmouth Local Transport Plan Refresh.
• Evaluation and Research: 20mph Evaluation Study (DfT); LSTF Case Study Evaluation - Impact of Sustainable Transport Measures on Town Centres (DfT); Evaluation of National HGV Speed Limit Increase (DfT).
• Cutting edge technology: Flourish and Venturer Driverless Cars projects.
• International Financial Institutions: Malawi Transport Masterplan; Turkey Transport Masterplan.
Atkins is a large international multi-disciplinary consultancy that offers great scope for your career. And we’re very agile in the way we work and respond to new challenges. Looking at things from every angle, we deliver innovative solutions by working closely with our customers at every stage of a project. The way we do things here is refreshingly different, and we’ll value you for exceeding customer expectations and delivering innovative solutions. We don’t believe there’s a better place to be right now. Our Transportation division is working on all kinds of great projects from smart motorways to driverless cars. And there are so many opportunities to upskill, grow your career and move between sectors.
Join us and you’ll be joining a business that places no limits on how far you can progress. You’ll gain experience on a diverse range of industry-leading projects; and have the opportunity to inspire and be inspired by colleagues in offices across the UK, and the globe. You’ll benefit from our promotion-from-within policy. And you’ll enjoy an exceptional rewards and benefits package including forward-thinking flexible working options to ensure that working with us works for you.