Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of our ideas.
We work together across an international network of offices. This means that wherever in the world a project is being delivered, our clients benefit from industry-leading expertise, as well as a dedicated local contact. We understand the importance of having deep roots in the community; knowing and understanding local requirements, practices and culture. This allows us to be true collaborative partners with our clients, so that together, we can tackle complex projects and enhance communities throughout the U.S. and around the world.
Want to work for a company who values passion, doing the right thing, putting clients first and working collaboratively to provide excellence in all they do? Take heart, you'll find it here.
The Atkins Public & Private Group is seeking a highly motivated, detail oriented, self-starter to join our San Antonio, TX office as a Transportation Design Project Director.
- Under general direction, manages complex and unconventional technology or delivery systems for a single significant project within a defined technical specialty. Projects typically involve high levels of regulatory agency involvement or very complex technical requirements. Typical projects might include construction management engagements, significant design-build or design-build-operate-maintain undertakings, major and unique structures, major wastewater treatment facilities, etc. Provides leadership, direction, and technical guidance to senior project managers and project managers within assigned area of responsibility to ensure that quality management and technical services are provided to clients and that operating performance targets are met. Mentors senior project managers and project managers associated with sophisticated and unconventional projects. Projects of this magnitude generally involve net revenues totaling between $2.5 million to $5 million annually and require specialized expertise.
INTERNAL STAFF ADMINISTRATION
- Assists management team in identifying staffing needs based on future workload and manpower projections for project staffing. Reviews managers’ recommendations to recruit, hire, transfer, or terminate project staff; approves/disapproves or endorses recommendations, and presents to senior management for approval as required by established authorization guidelines.
- Reviews and makes decision on recommendations for salary offers for new hire candidates, as well as salary and position adjustment actions for project staff, subject to senior management review and approval. Recommends personnel actions as established by authorization guidelines.
- Conducts semi-annual performance reviews and annual career planning sessions with project staff within assigned projects. Provides staff with ongoing performance feedback and counsel to promote improved performance and career development.
- Helps staff identify and pursue technical and professional development activities consistent with their career development goals and project objectives/needs.
- Advises project staff concerning company policies and procedures; monitors and enforces compliance.
PROJECT PRODUCTION AND MANAGEMENT
- Assists project staff in developing work plans; reviews and approves schedules, budgets, project milestone dates, and work products.
- Oversees financial performance of projects; assists project staff in identifying potential problems to ensure remedial actions are promptly taken to avoid financial losses and client dissatisfaction. Monitors and enforces compliance with established quality control standards, ensuring that appropriate quality assurance activities are being performed throughout the project. Reviews QC plans and periodic QA compliance audits.
- Assists assigned project staff in facilitating work sharing with other operating units.
- Secures resource support from other operating units. Establishes work sharing commitments and negotiates outsourcing budgets with technical managers.
MARKETING AND CLIENT MAINTENANCE
- Develops, implements, and monitors annual and strategic marketing plans for targeted projects; participates in the development of Strategic Plan.
- Actively pursues, investigates, and evaluates new or expanded opportunities for associated projects and services within the firm by maintaining contacts with current and prospective client decision makers; identifies and works toward the resolution of client relations problems. Reviews proposals and selects interview teams; reviews and recommends project marketing budgets subject to approval by senior management.
- Maintains visibility and professional courtesy by actively participating in civic and professional organizations and encourages project staff to do the same.
- Maintains regional/national prominence and recognition through published technical work and/or presentation of papers at national or regional technical conferences.
CONTRACTS AND FINANCIAL
- Conducts contract negotiations with clients and sub-consultants.
- Develops and recommends operational budgets for approval by senior management. Reviews and makes decision on proposed project budgets. Monitors monthly performance against budget to ensure project profitability.
- Manages the project as a profit center; controls G&A costs; reviews and manages revenue stream.
- Approves purchase requests for capital items as specified in the Authorization Matrix.
- Manages accounts receivables and client billings; reviews and makes decision concerning final write-offs and past due accounts receivables as specified in the Authorization Matrix.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in field of practice. Graduate degree preferred. Management coursework and/or MBA a plus.
- This level may be achieved by technical professionals or managers with twelve years of experience since B.S. or eleven years since M.S., with at least three of these years in the Senior Project Manager position with highly complex project management responsibility.
- Excellent technical and interpersonal skills, public speaking and persuasive ability; very strong financial management, team management, and leadership skills; ability to manage and coordinate efforts of various projects to produce budgeted profits and overall results. Possesses specific expertise to the extent that the individual is regarded as a regional or potentially national expert in a specific discipline, contract delivery method, particular type of project, planning process, design method, or modeling technique. Personal computer proficiency is required.
- Professional Engineer (P.E.) is required.
- Preferred experience managing TxDOT PS&E projects and/or local municipal design projects for the City of San Antonio and Bexar County.
- Seller-doer skill set required.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement by clicking the following link: